Reflection in a mirror of negative curvature

In summary, reflection in arbitrary surfaces is a generalization of 2D reflections in circles, where the normal line through the point is inverted in the respective circles of curvature. On a saddle-shaped surface with negative gaussian curvature, the mirror will stretch and shrink along different directions.
Jeff.N
How Does Reflection Behave In Arbitrary Surfaces

Hi

I am interested to know how reflection would behave in a mirror on a surface of negative [gaussian] curvature.

I tried googleing it and found nothing useful
Thanks

Edit:

Reflection in a sphere behaves like inversion in a sphere given that the point we are reflecting is closer to the portion of surface in which we reflect than the center of the sphere, and the mirror is indefinitely thin.[If I'm not mistaken]

Inversion in a sphere is a generalization of inversion in a circle. 2D Reflections in circles [i think, just play along] can be generalized to arbitrary curves by finding the normal line(s) through the curve passing through the point we wish to reflect and inverting that point in the respective circles of curvature.

What was motivating my question is that I was wondering if this idea could be generalized to reflection in arbitrary surfaces in 3D.
However I am not sure how Does Reflection Behave In A Surface At points In Which The Curvature Is Different Along Different Curves In The Surface. Can It be formulated similarly to the 2D model I described?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Jeff.N said:
Hi

I am interested to know how reflection would behave in a mirror on a surface of negative [gaussian] curvature.

I tried googleing it and found nothing useful
Thanks

A saddle shaped mirror will stretch along one direction and shrink along the other.

4969,xcitefun-cloud-gate-2.jpg

C0098983-Cloud_Gate_sculpture_in_Chicago-SPL.jpg

1. What is reflection in a mirror of negative curvature?

Reflection in a mirror of negative curvature refers to the phenomenon where light rays are reflected at an angle different from the incident angle on the surface of a mirror with a concave shape. This creates a distorted reflection that can appear curved or inverted.

2. How is this type of mirror different from a regular mirror?

A mirror with negative curvature is different from a regular mirror in that it has a concave surface instead of a flat or convex surface. This means that light rays are reflected at varying angles, creating a distorted reflection rather than a clear and accurate one.

3. What is the scientific explanation for this type of reflection?

The scientific explanation for reflection in a mirror of negative curvature lies in the curvature of the mirror's surface. Due to the concave shape, light rays are reflected at different angles and converge at a specific point, creating a distorted reflection. This is known as spherical aberration.

4. How is this type of mirror used in scientific experiments?

Mirrors of negative curvature are often used in scientific experiments that require precise and controlled lighting. Their unique reflective properties allow for the manipulation and direction of light rays, making them useful in fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy.

5. Can this type of reflection be seen in everyday objects?

Yes, reflection in a mirror of negative curvature can be seen in everyday objects such as spoons, car side mirrors, and certain types of eyeglasses. However, the effect is more pronounced in mirrors specifically designed with this curvature for scientific purposes.