The electric field at the center of a square

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance from the center of a vector to any corner. The explanation involves dividing the diagonal distance by the square root of 2, which is equivalent to dividing the vector's length by 2. The x-component is also accounted for by the cosine of 45 degrees.
Jay9313
http://helios.augustana.edu/~dr/203/probs/Set%201.pdf
Scroll down to #11 for a picture.

So I kind of understand the math. I am a little confuse though. So why is a divided by sqrt(2)?
If this is a vector, then the center is really (a(sqrt(2)))/2 and the x component would be divided by sqrt(2) which makes the equation equal a/2. Can someone explain this? Is my math wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The diagonal distance from corner to corner is a*2^.5 and the distance from corner to the center is half of that,

a*2^.5/2 = a/2^.5

Yes?

The distance from the center to any corner is [itex]a/\sqrt{2}[/itex], that's why a is divided by sqrt(2).

Taking the x-component is accounted for by the cos(45) in the expression.

I'm not sure why it's a/sqrt(2). I do know that (a(sqrt(2))/2 is the exact same number. I don't know why.

Basically, I found the length of the diagonal, a(sqrt(2)) and divided it by 2. It's the same as a/sqrt(2)

The electric field at the center of a square can be calculated by using the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the individual electric fields due to each charge in the system. In this case, we have four charges at the corners of the square, each with the same magnitude and direction of electric field.

To calculate the electric field at the center, we can use Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the charge.

In the case of a square, the distance from the center to each corner is a/√2, as shown in the diagram. This is because the diagonal of a square is √2 times the length of one side. So, when we plug this into Coulomb's law, we get a/√2 in the denominator, which explains why the equation is divided by √2.

As for the x component, you are correct that the center of the square is actually (a√2)/2. However, when we are calculating the x component of the electric field, we only consider the distance in the x direction, which is a/2. This is why the equation simplifies to a/2 for the x component.

In summary, the reason for dividing by √2 in the equation for the electric field at the center of a square is due to the geometry of the square and the application of Coulomb's law. Your math is correct, and I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square?

The formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square is given by E = k * Q / a^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), Q is the net charge of the square, and a is the length of one side of the square.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric field at the center of a square?

The direction of the electric field at the center of a square is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields created by each charge on the square. The direction of the electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Can the electric field at the center of a square be zero?

Yes, the electric field at the center of a square can be zero if the net charge of the square is zero. This means that the positive and negative charges cancel each other out and there is no overall electric field at the center.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field at the center of a square?

The distance between charges does not directly affect the electric field at the center of a square. However, as the distance between charges increases, the overall electric field strength decreases due to the inverse-square law.

5. Can the shape of the square affect the electric field at the center?

Yes, the shape of the square can affect the electric field at the center. For example, if the charges are not evenly distributed on the square, the electric field at the center may be different than if the charges were evenly distributed. Additionally, if the square is a non-uniform shape, the electric field at the center may also be affected.