Atomic/Ionic Radii: Helium vs. Lithium+ (ion)

In summary, the ionic radius of Li+ is smaller than the atomic radius of Li, indicating the removal of the valence electron. However, despite having the same electron configuration, the ionic radius of Li+ is still larger than that of He, which has a smaller nuclear charge. This may be due to the estimated and crude nature of determining ionic radii in an ionic crystal, which can result in unintuitive trends. It is also not fair to compare ionic radii with atomic radii as they are different types of radii.
carbonrod
I'm teaching periodic trends in a Gen. Chem. course, and it's commonly mentioned that the radius of an Li+ ion (90 pm) is smaller than that of the neutral Li atom (~160 pm), with the dominant reason being that the valence 2s1 electron was removed. The same trend shows up for the other alkali metals, naturally.

However, the ionic radius of Li+ is 90 pm, while the atomic radius of He is 31 pm (calculated). The strange thing (to me, anyway) is that they both have the same electron configuration, namely two electrons in the 1s orbital. Li+ has the larger nuclear charge, so I'd have expected Coulomb's law to pull those two electrons closer to the nucleus, but apparently the exact opposite result happens.

Anyone know what I'm missing? Similar trends seem to be observed for the other pairs of alkali ions/noble gases...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an itneresting observation. I will throw a hint but I do not claim that I have a definite answer right now. My understanding is that the ionic radius for all elements is "estimated" in and very "crude" way when this element is part of an ionic crystal. My guess that in an ionic crystal the periodic electric field will affect the distribution of the electron "cloud" around the nuclei in an unintuitive way. Other unintuituve examples can be found by examining this table for ionic radii:
http://abulafia.mt.ic.ac.uk/shannon/ptable.php
For instance Nb3+ can have ionic radius less than Li+ although the atomic number of Nb is 41.

EDIT: I also think it is unfair to compare ionic radii with atomic radii. Comparison and trends are meaningful only when the radii compared are of the same type. For example, it looks absurd to me to compare the van der Waals radius of Si with the ionic radius of Mn.

Last edited:

1. What is the atomic/ionic radius of helium?

The atomic radius of helium is approximately 31 picometers (pm). The ionic radius of helium, as an ion with a +1 charge, is 32 pm.

2. What is the atomic/ionic radius of lithium+ (ion)?

The atomic radius of lithium is approximately 152 pm. When lithium loses one electron to become a lithium+ ion, its ionic radius is reduced to approximately 90 pm.

3. How does the atomic radius of helium compare to that of lithium+?

The atomic radius of helium is significantly smaller than that of lithium+. This is because helium has a full valence shell of electrons, making it a stable atom, whereas lithium+ has one less electron and is therefore smaller in size.

4. Why does lithium+ have a smaller ionic radius than neutral lithium?

Lithium+ has a smaller ionic radius than neutral lithium because it has lost one electron, resulting in a decrease in its electron cloud and a decrease in size.

5. How does the atomic/ionic radius of helium compare to that of other noble gases?

The atomic and ionic radius of helium is the smallest among all the noble gases. This is because helium has only two electrons in its valence shell, while the other noble gases have a full valence shell of eight electrons, making them larger in size.