A Formula for Rate of Evaporation

In summary, the rate of evaporation depends on several factors: the relative humidity, temperature, pressure, and surface area.
marvolo1300
Hi, it has been a while since I've been on PF.

I know that the rate of evaporation depends on the relative humidity, temperature, pressure and surface area.

Is there any formula that fits this criteria?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I found so far:
LINK. CLICK ME!

Basically they define the rate of evaporation as:

massWater/(unitArea/unitTime)

Sorry about the lack of a direct link, I am using an OS without a supported PDF plugin.

oh wow, I was thinking about then whilst I was walking to the shops a few weeks ago
I was mainly using dimensional analysis to guide me though.. I don't really remember what I came up with though since I had to start remembering why I went to the shop once I arrived!
:biggrin:

What a coincidence! It seems you may have a unit for the rate of evaporation.

Well, it was worth a shot.

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed relationship that relates between evaporation rate and pressure ...all this equations indicate the relationship between the temperature and evaporation rate

the Clausius-Clapeyron Equation relates between pressure and temperature.
i will give you example for what i want:

if i have vessel contains 100 m^3 of water and the surface area is 500 m^2 and the relative humidity is 50% and the speed of air is 0.5 m/s what is pressure drop that i need to evaporate this volume of water during 24 hours?

You're missing some key pieces of the puzzle. You need to know the mass transfer coefficient between the liquid and gas phases. You also need to consider heat transfer, because the temperature at the interface is going to be lower than in the bulk of the liquid (and this is going to affect the vapor pressure at the interface). See Mass Transfer Operations by Treybel. You are dealing with combined heat and mass transfer.

Chet

1. What is the formula for rate of evaporation?

The formula for rate of evaporation is: Rate of Evaporation = (Mass of Evaporated Substance / Time) x (1 / Area of Surface).

2. How is the rate of evaporation affected by temperature?

As temperature increases, the rate of evaporation also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for water molecules to break apart and escape from the liquid surface.

3. Does humidity play a role in the rate of evaporation?

Yes, humidity does play a role in the rate of evaporation. Higher humidity levels means that the air is already saturated with water molecules, making it more difficult for additional water molecules to evaporate from the surface.

4. What is the significance of surface area in the rate of evaporation?

The larger the surface area, the faster the rate of evaporation. This is because a larger surface area means there are more water molecules exposed to the surrounding air, increasing the chances of evaporation.

5. Can the rate of evaporation be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the rate of evaporation can be influenced by external factors such as wind speed, air pressure, and the presence of impurities in the water. These factors can affect the rate at which water molecules can escape from the liquid surface.