Calculating Aircraft Range and Endurance Using De Breguet Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of range and endurance for an aircraft with given specifications, using the De Breguet formula. The aircraft has a weight of 90,500 N, an aspect ratio of 5.5, a zero lift drag coefficient of 0.031, an Oswald efficiency factor of 0.87, and a wing area of 40 square metres. It is powered by two jet engines with 32,200 N of static thrust each at sea level, has a fuel capacity of 1,675 gallons, and a maximum gross weight of 130,500 N. The calculation is to be done at a standard altitude of 8 km with a thrust specific fuel consumption of 1 N of fuel
AlphaCharlie
Hey there everyone, long time lurker but first time poster, with a question. I've been studying for an upcoming exam and I came across this question in my textbook and I'm absolutely stumped. Any advice would be much appreciated.

An aircraft has a weight of 90,500 N, an aspect ratio of 5.5, a zero lift drag coefficient of 0.031, an Oswald efficiency factor of 0.87, and a wing area of 40 square metres. The aircraft is powered by two jet engines with 32,200 N of static thrust each at sea level. The fuel capacity is 1,675 gallons, the thrust specific fuel consumption is 1 N of fuel per Newton of thrust per hour, and the maximum gross weight is 130,500 N.

Calculate the range and endurance of the aircraft at a standard altitude of 8 km.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the De Breguet formula.

What is aircraft range and endurance?

Aircraft range and endurance refer to the maximum distance an aircraft can fly and the amount of time it can stay in the air on a single fuel load, respectively.

What factors affect aircraft range and endurance?

Aircraft range and endurance are affected by various factors, including the type of aircraft, its weight, fuel capacity, engine efficiency, and weather conditions.

How is aircraft range and endurance calculated?

Aircraft range and endurance are calculated using a combination of factors, including fuel consumption rate, fuel capacity, and aircraft weight. These calculations can be done using mathematical formulas or through computer simulations.

What is the difference between range and endurance?

The main difference between range and endurance is that range is the maximum distance an aircraft can fly on a single fuel load, while endurance is the maximum time it can stay in the air on that same fuel load. Range is affected by factors such as speed, wind, and altitude, while endurance is primarily influenced by fuel efficiency and weight.

How can aircraft range and endurance be extended?

To extend aircraft range and endurance, several strategies can be employed, such as using more fuel-efficient engines, reducing the weight of the aircraft, optimizing flight routes, and using in-flight refueling techniques.