Complex number calculation

In summary, we are asked to evaluate {(1+i)^(1-i)} and describe the set {1^x} when x is a real number, distinguishing between the cases when x is rational and when x is irrational. For the first part, we can write {(1+i)^(1-i)} as e^((1-i)log(1+i)) and obtain a complex number. For the second part, we can express 1 as e^(i2npi) and then write 1^x as e^(2inxpi). When x is rational, there are q complex roots of 1, while when x is irrational, there is an infinite number of possible values for k, resulting in an infinite number of
cummings12332

Homework Statement

Evaluate {(1+i)^(1-i)} and describe the set{1^x} when x is a real number, distinguish between the cases when x is rational and when x is rational. for now considering the complex number.

2. The attempt at a solution
i don't know how to start with,for firest part i just write it into e^((1-i)log(1+i)) then get the number with e to the power which inculding i , and the secound part , for 1=e^(i2npi) then 1^x is e^(2inxpi) then how to consider the case for rational and irrational here?????

Physics news on Phys.org
start by breaking the factor into two factors (1+i)^1 * (1+i)^(-i)

jedishrfu said:
start by breaking the factor into two factors (1+i)^1 * (1+i)^(-i)

i can do the first part now, many thanks ,but i don't understand the secound part of the question.should it be if 1=exp(2ikpi) then 1^x= exp(2ikpix) then consider the rational and irrational case on this form. but what's the differences , i have no idea

Last edited:
cummings12332 said:
should it be if 1=exp(2ikpi) then 1^x= exp(2ikpix) then consider the rational and irrational case on this form.
Yes. Think about whether different values for k can produce the same value.

haruspex said:
Yes. Think about whether different values for k can produce the same value.

if rational, then 1^(p/q) is the q complex roots of 1, if x is irrational then 1^x=exp(2ikpix) then k can be chosen infinitely many values then there are infinite points

cummings12332 said:
if rational, then 1^(p/q) is the q complex roots of 1, if x is irrational then 1^x=exp(2ikpix) then k can be chosen infinitely many values then there are infinite points
That's it.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i. Similarly, (3 + 2i) - (5 + 4i) = (3 - 5) + (2i - 4i) = -2 - 2i.

3. How are complex numbers multiplied and divided?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the expression. For example, (3 + 2i) / (5 + 4i) = (3 + 2i) * (5 - 4i) / (5 + 4i) * (5 - 4i) = (15 - 12i + 10i - 8i^2) / (25 - 16i^2) = (23 - 2i) / 41.

4. How do you graph complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a complex plane, with the real part plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part plotted on the y-axis. The location of the number on the plane represents its magnitude and direction. For example, the complex number 3 + 2i would be graphed at the point (3, 2).

5. What are some real-world applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to represent AC circuit analysis, in signal processing for audio and image compression, and in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system. They are also used in financial modeling and prediction, as well as in computer graphics and animation.