Machine Parts - Screws fastening a board calculation

In summary, Homework Statement: Board AB is fixed to the wall through 6 screws as described in the drawing. Beams CD and DE are connected to the board by joints at points C, D, E. At point D acts a vertical force of 7500 [N].Calculate:A) The reaction forces at joints C, E.B) Describe the external forces acting the beams CD, ED, on board AB.C) Calculate the screws measurements for fastening the board.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Board AB is fixed to the wall through 6 screws as described in the drawing. Beams CD and DE are connected to the board by joints at points C, D, E. At point D acts a vertical force of 7500 [N].

Calculate:

A) The reaction forces at joints C, E.

B) Describe the external forces acting the beams CD, ED, on board AB.

C) Calculate the screws measurements for fastening the board.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4181/rivets.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I left clause C out, wondering if so far so good

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/851/fixxxxxx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brings back the old days!

The reaction forces at C and E looks good! :smile:I'm afraid your drawing for part (B) is not quite right yet.
You have left out the horizontal forces which you shouldn't.
Btw, the direction of one of those vertical forces is the wrong way.

Last edited:
Looks familiar. :)
I'll check the numbers later.

The forces in part (B) look much better now... but they seem to be the forces that the board exerts on the beams rather than the forces that act on the board...

You're right, I forgot, it's the same with the principle of the frames. When you look at a different beam the forces are equal but opposite.

So, consider all the forces drawn on the board equal but opposite (I'll redraw it later :) ). Right?

Right! :)

Hmm, case 2 shows 4 horizontal boards that are entwined.
Do you have 4 boards?

Our teacher picked case 2 for this other exercise: (which doesn't have 4 boards, only 2 as you can see)

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8774/exercisen.jpg I added translation for the cases I posted in the post before.

1) Force P is parallel to the screws axis and passes through the center of gravity (C) of the connection

2)
a) Force P acts in 90 degrees to the axis of the screws and passes through the center of gravity of the conection

b) Connection with no space between screw and drilled hole

3)
a) Torsion moment M acts in the plane of the conection
b) Screws are in difference distances from center of connection C

4)
Force P acts 90 degrees to the axis of the screws (does not pass through center of gravity C)

5) Force P (or moment M) acts parallel to the axis of the screws (does not pass through center of connection C)

6) Force P acts 90 degrees to the axis of the screws (does not pass through center of gravity C).

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked your numbers... and they check out!
It looks like you still know how to do it!

And with the translation, case 2 does sound right!
Did you clean the scanner?

My classmate claims it's case 6... I'm a bit conflicted myself. Any second thoughts?

Thanks for checking my numbers :)

And yep, it's all cleaned up and ready for mechano-scans

The downward force on the board is at point C.
At this point the force is at 90 degrees to the screws and passes through the center of gravity of the board.

The main horizontal force is at point E, trying to pull the board from the wall.
But both cases include this force.

So I'm going to stick with you. ;)
Case 2 it is.

Femme_physics said:
And yep, it's all cleaned up and ready for mechano-scans

Can it also scan or?

I like Serena said:
Can it also scan or?

Heh ;)

The downward force on the board is at point C.
At this point the force is at 90 degrees to the screws and passes through the center of gravity of the board.

The main horizontal force is at point E, trying to pull the board from the wall.
But both cases include this force.

So I'm going to stick with you. ;)
Case 2 it is.

Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of using screws to fasten a board?

Screws are used to securely attach two or more materials together. In the case of a board, screws are commonly used to attach it to a frame or other supporting structure.

2. How do I calculate the number of screws needed for a board?

To calculate the number of screws needed, you will first need to determine the size and weight of the board. Then, using the appropriate load-bearing capacity for the type of screws you will be using, you can calculate the number of screws needed to evenly distribute the weight of the board.

3. What is the recommended spacing for screws when fastening a board?

The recommended spacing for screws when fastening a board is typically between 6-8 inches. This will ensure that the weight of the board is evenly distributed and will prevent any sagging or warping.

4. What type of screws should I use for fastening a board?

The type of screws you should use for fastening a board will depend on the type of material the board is made of and the weight it will be supporting. Some common types of screws used for this purpose include wood screws, drywall screws, and self-tapping screws.

5. Can I reuse screws when fastening a board?

In most cases, it is not recommended to reuse screws when fastening a board. This is because screws can become worn or damaged over time, which can compromise their ability to securely hold the board in place. It is best to use new screws for each installation to ensure the safety and stability of the board.