Which Calculus Book is Best for Self-Learning?

In summary, the person is a self-learner and is looking for a book on differential and integral calculus that is suitable for self-learning and has a lot of examples. They also want the book to explain concepts through simple examples and have a step-by-step approach for beginners. The suggested book is MIT's 18.01SC course, which the person has found helpful and recommends.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am a self-learner. I am teaching myself calculus through different sources on the net, but I feel I book is handy.

Can you please suggest me a book on differential & integral calculus which:

(a) I can self-learn
(b) Has a lot of examples
(c) Clears out the concepts through simple examples

and which is a step by step approach even for a very basic beginner.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try MIT's 18.01SC course, it has all you need to learn from.

Wow... what the heck happened there?

I don't know, but I deleted the duplicates.

1. What are the best self-teaching calculus books for beginners?

Some popular options for self-teaching calculus books include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

2. How do I choose the right calculus book for my skill level?

It's important to consider your current math skills and experience with calculus when choosing a self-teaching book. Look for books that have clear explanations, plenty of practice problems, and reviews from other readers with similar backgrounds.

3. Can I teach myself calculus without any prior math knowledge?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to teach yourself calculus without any prior math knowledge. However, it may be helpful to review basic algebra and trigonometry concepts before diving into calculus.

4. Are there any interactive or online resources to supplement self-teaching calculus books?

Yes, there are many interactive and online resources available to supplement self-teaching calculus books. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How long does it typically take to self-teach calculus?

The time it takes to self-teach calculus may vary depending on your learning style and dedication. On average, it may take 6-12 months to fully grasp the concepts and applications of calculus.