DE question, how can I use straight line trajectories to come up with

In summary, the conversation discusses using eigenvectors and eigenvalues to find formulas for straight line trajectories in a differential equation system. To start the trajectories at any given point, the solution plots can be altered by using a linear combination of the eigenvectors with chosen coefficients. This is possible because the system is linear.
jlatshaw
Ok, so this is a differential equation question.
How can I use the eigenvectors/eigenvalues to find the formulas for straight line trajectories and from those formulas that I come up with, how can I alter them so as to start at any given point that I would like them to (like with starter data)?

I know that I can come up with the straight line trajectories starting at the tips of the eigenvectors using:

{x1[t_], y1[t_]} = eigenvector[1] E^(eigenvalue[1] t)
{x2[t_], y2[t_]} = eigenvector[2] E^(eigenvalue[2] t)

Using the above, then if I want my solution plots to obey certain starter data, say x[0] = A, y[0] = B,
What do I have to do to the above to make the by solution plots start at those values?
Any suggested reading or videos on the subject to get a good understanding of it?

Thanks for any help,
-James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I figured it out:

If you have a DE system that is linear, then if we know eigenvalue and eigenvectors of a coefficient matrix A, we know that trajectory plots starting at the ends of the eigenvectors will be:

{x1[t_], y1[t_]} = eigenvector[1] E^(eigenvalue[1] t)
{x2[t_], y2[t_]} = eigenvector[2] E^(eigenvalue[2] t)

These will go with the flow. However, if we would like to start at any point, then we can say:

{x[t],y[t]} = C1 {x1[t], y1[t]} + C2 {x2[t], y2[t]}
where C1 and C2 are chosen, based off of the coefficients of {x1[t], y1[t]} and {x2[t], y2[t]} such that the resulting coefficients will be where you want the trajectory to start.
This is all possible because the system is linear.

1. How can I use straight line trajectories in my research?

Straight line trajectories can be used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and robotics. They are useful for analyzing the motion of objects and predicting their path. In research, straight line trajectories can be used to study the effects of gravity, air resistance, and other factors on the movement of objects.

2. Can I use straight line trajectories to predict the path of a projectile?

Yes, straight line trajectories can be used to predict the path of projectiles such as missiles or projectiles launched from a catapult. By analyzing the initial velocity and angle of the projectile, you can use straight line trajectories to calculate its trajectory and determine where it will land.

3. Are straight line trajectories only applicable to linear motion?

No, straight line trajectories can also be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in curved or non-linear paths. In these cases, the trajectory would consist of a series of connected straight line segments that approximate the curved path.

4. Can I use straight line trajectories to control the movement of robots?

Yes, straight line trajectories can be used to program the movement of robots by defining a series of straight line segments for the robot to follow. This can be useful in industrial automation, autonomous vehicles, and other applications where precise control of movement is necessary.

5. How can I visualize straight line trajectories?

There are many tools available to help visualize straight line trajectories, including graphing software, computer simulation programs, and physical models. These can help you better understand and analyze the motion of objects and how different factors affect their trajectories.