Could Games be the Most Effective Strategy of Learning Physics?

In summary: In a sense, they are like RoboCards- useful for building concepts and understanding relationships, but not really teaching the underlying physical principles.In summary, games are useful for learning physics, but they aren't physics themselves. You have to learn the underlying physics first and then play the game.
PhysicsatTen
As you can see, children of this generation really misuse a games purpose. When, you can study things, and find out the comparisons of the physics to the "law of physics". You see, you can find the gravitational acceleration in just a building game.
I'll speak more later

Science news on Phys.org
There are some games designed purely for studying.
There are others designed for fun(Using physics Engine eg: Gravity,collisions etc)
Games like GTA Vice city can sometimes help in studying physics too.(My case lol)
Moreover,even Tom and Jerry help me to study physics.(most unlikely but its true)

So it all depends on how interested you are in these things and basically how 'you' think.

adjacent said:
There are some games designed purely for studying.
There are others designed for fun(Using physics Engine eg: Gravity,collisions etc)
Games like GTA Vice city can sometimes help in studying physics too.(My case lol)
Moreover,even Tom and Jerry help me to study physics.(most unlikely but its true)

So it all depends on how interested you are in these things and basically how 'you' think.

Really? Name one bit of physics you've learned from either of those games. You can't learn physics by just playing around with simulations based on very simplified models. You can't even rely on your experience and intuition gained by playing around with a real physics engine (e.g. the real world), as anyone who studies physics should know.

You have to do it the old fashioned way - learn the math, understand the basic assumptions and emperical facts that a particular theory is based on, and be able to work through the machinery provided by that theory to do calculations.

Simulations are enormously useful for studying physics, but only when you've learned the physics properly first. On their own they are useless.

If you're just playing a game, I fail to see how you might garner any real physical insight from it, except from maybe, figuring out of the flight arc of a crossbow bolt in call of duty. That won't actually help you learn physics, but you might be able to intuitively translate it if you ever find yourself armed with a crossbow in a zombie apocalypse. Hey, the bolts fly in an arc! Now if you're playing a real flight simulator, this could also intuitively teach you about physics, but the point here isn't about learning the physics itself.

If you're designing game physics, or playing around in SFML, and actually want to replicate real life physics... Well you'd be forced to actually learn them so that you could put them in your game. So the game itself isn't teaching you anything, but the designing of the game might.

Could you design a game that concretely teaches physics? Sure, but then you'd just call it computer based training, not a game.

I said Vice city HELP me STUDY physics.I did not say games are physics themselves.
Example.
There may be a ramp(Stunting) in Vice city and the maximum height the car reaches is related to the slope of the ramp.This itself does not teach physics.It raises questions:In which way is it related?Find an equation for the relation.
Then this leads to do math,physics,study physics,study maths to find the answer.You don't get ideas from heaven.You have to deduce them yourself.
You don't suddenly think about some slopes.For me games help me bring ideas to mind.

Tom and jerry,on the other hand, is purely for fun so is Vice city.

PhysicsatTen said:
As you can see, children of this generation really misuse a games purpose. When, you can study things, and find out the comparisons of the physics to the "law of physics". You see, you can find the gravitational acceleration in just a building game.
I'll speak more later

This idea- computer simulations as a teaching tool- has gotten a lot of attention, especially in the context of introductory lab work. IMO, there isn't a clear, compelling, benefit to replacing direct hands-on experience with simulations.

To be sure, there are lots of good resources- PhET (http://phet.colorado.edu/) is particularly well-developed. I can't find the link right now, but there's a really cool applet that let's you create linked mass-spring systems to 'make' objects that can walk, roll, etc.

However, none of these, IMO, really teach the underlying physics- the physics is a given, hidden in the code, and the user simply plays with applications.

1. What evidence supports the idea that games are an effective strategy for learning physics?

There is a growing body of research that suggests that games can be an effective tool for teaching physics. Studies have shown that games can improve students' problem-solving skills, spatial reasoning, and conceptual understanding of physics concepts.

2. How do games help students learn physics?

Games provide an interactive and engaging learning experience that can help students develop a deeper understanding of physics concepts. Through gameplay, students can apply their knowledge in a hands-on way, making connections between theory and real-life situations.

3. Are certain types of games better for learning physics than others?

While any game that incorporates physics principles can be beneficial, research suggests that games with realistic physics engines and open-ended gameplay tend to be more effective. These types of games allow for experimentation and exploration, promoting a deeper understanding of physics concepts.

4. Can games be used as a replacement for traditional teaching methods in physics?

Games should not be seen as a replacement for traditional teaching methods, but rather as a supplement to them. They can be used as a fun and engaging way to reinforce concepts and provide additional practice for students.

5. How can teachers effectively incorporate games into their physics curriculum?

To effectively use games in the physics classroom, teachers should carefully select games that align with their learning objectives and provide guidance and structure during gameplay. It's also important to debrief and discuss the game afterwards to ensure students are making connections to the physics concepts being taught.