Noncommutative Geometry Explained

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, noncommutative geometry is a relatively new subject, around 30 years old, that seeks to generalize Riemannian manifolds through the use of non-commutative C* algebras. It has connections to quantum mechanics and the possibility of revealing quantum gravity. Connes' definition may differ from that of others, but it is a topic that continues to be explored by both physicists and mathematicians.
waht
How new is this subject of noncommutative geometry? I tried googling it, but few info comes out and there is not a lot of books about it either.

What is this subject about exactly and is it going to be something major?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
waht said:
How new is this subject of noncommutative geometry? I tried googling it, but few info comes out and there is not a lot of books about it either.
What is this subject about exactly and is it going to be something major?

Hi, I think the subject is around 30 years old (it might be even more). Intuitively, non commutative geometry is a strict algebraic theory that allows one to generalize Riemannian manifolds. Connes remarked that such a structure (actually, you have to restrict yourself to manifolds with a spin structure if I remember correctly) can be fully characterized by the *commutative* C* algebra of C^infty functions equipped with a derivative operator. Now, you can ask yourself what ``geometry´´ you get when you allow the C* algebra to be non commutative. At that point you can use the GNS representation theorems which say that such non abelian C* algebra can be represented in terms of bounded operators on some Hilbert space. This gives you a link with quantum mechanics and one could hope to get quantum gravity out in this way. If you want references: search on Connes first.

Cheers,

Careful

Non-commutative geometry is a blanket term: Connes definition, if he even has such a thing as 'a definition' would not agree with, say, an algebraic geometer's idea.

The first thing you should ask yourself is: do i know what commutative geometry is? If so then it is relatively easy to see what 'non-commutative' geometry is: geometry without the restriction of commutativity. How you relax that criterion would I suspect depend upon whom you asked.

matt grime said:
Non-commutative geometry is a blanket term: Connes definition, if he even has such a thing as 'a definition' would not agree with, say, an algebraic geometer's idea.

The first thing you should ask yourself is: do i know what commutative geometry is? If so then it is relatively easy to see what 'non-commutative' geometry is: geometry without the restriction of commutativity. How you relax that criterion would I suspect depend upon whom you asked.
Indeed, and I gave one which is used by physicists (and which I remember to have read from a paper Connes has written for physicists). More abstract stuff can be found on webpages of Lieven Lebruyn and Michel Van den Bergh.

What is noncommutative geometry?

Noncommutative geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric spaces and their properties using tools from algebra and topology. It deals with spaces that do not obey the commutative law, where the order of operations matters.

How is noncommutative geometry different from traditional geometry?

Traditional geometry deals with spaces that are commutative, meaning that the order of operations does not affect the outcome. In noncommutative geometry, the order of operations is crucial, and the resulting spaces have different properties and structures.

What are some applications of noncommutative geometry?

Noncommutative geometry has applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and finance. It has been used to study quantum mechanics, develop cryptography algorithms, and analyze financial markets.

What are some common mathematical tools used in noncommutative geometry?

Some common mathematical tools used in noncommutative geometry include algebraic structures such as rings, modules, and categories, as well as tools from topology, such as sheaves and cohomology. Other important concepts include spectral triples, noncommutative integration, and K-theory.

What are the potential implications of noncommutative geometry for the future?

Noncommutative geometry is a rapidly growing field with many potential implications for the future. It has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of geometric spaces and their properties, leading to new discoveries and applications in various fields. It may also play a significant role in the development of quantum computing, which could have a significant impact on technology and society.