Register to reply

E-Z isomerism

by influx
Tags: isomerism
Share this thread:
influx
May12-12, 03:49 PM
P: 107

I know what E-Z isomerism is, but I'm confused about Q9), couldn't the answer just be all of them?

FOr 10, I know its but- since there are 4 carbons in the chain but how do I know which of the options are wrong?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Synthesis produces new antibiotic: Scientists confirm potent synthesis of natural tetracycline
Scientists learn to control reactions with the shape of a rare-earth catalyst
Protein glue shows potential for use with biomaterials
sjb-2812
May12-12, 04:20 PM
P: 427
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming
influx
May12-12, 04:40 PM
Quote Quote by sjb-2812 View Post
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming
A compound is a z-isomer if the groups are on the same side, and an e-isomer if the groups are on different sides, like so:

I tried look around but it gets too complicated, I do AS Chemistry which doesn't cover that much material..

Thanks for the reply

sjb-2812
May13-12, 05:09 AM
E-Z isomerism

OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

Borek
May13-12, 06:11 AM
Admin
P: 23,578
Other way of thinking (which basically boils down to the same thing sjb already suggests) - try to draw E-Z isomers of the compound A (Q9). Are they really different?
influx
May13-12, 07:12 AM
OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

Nope! Since the Cl and Cl have the same priority (and same goes for the H atoms)
influx
May13-12, 07:19 AM

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers
sjb-2812
May13-12, 11:30 AM
Quote Quote by influx View Post

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers
Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.
influx
May14-12, 12:13 PM
Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.

Register to reply