Register to reply

E-Z isomerism

by influx
Tags: isomerism
Share this thread:
influx
May12-12, 03:49 PM
P: 107

I know what E-Z isomerism is, but I'm confused about Q9), couldn't the answer just be all of them?

FOr 10, I know its but- since there are 4 carbons in the chain but how do I know which of the options are wrong?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
sjb-2812
May12-12, 04:20 PM
P: 427
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming
influx
May12-12, 04:40 PM
Quote Quote by sjb-2812 View Post
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming
A compound is a z-isomer if the groups are on the same side, and an e-isomer if the groups are on different sides, like so:

I tried look around but it gets too complicated, I do AS Chemistry which doesn't cover that much material..

Thanks for the reply

sjb-2812
May13-12, 05:09 AM
E-Z isomerism

OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

Borek
May13-12, 06:11 AM
Admin
P: 23,386
Other way of thinking (which basically boils down to the same thing sjb already suggests) - try to draw E-Z isomers of the compound A (Q9). Are they really different?
influx
May13-12, 07:12 AM
OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

Nope! Since the Cl and Cl have the same priority (and same goes for the H atoms)
influx
May13-12, 07:19 AM

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers
sjb-2812
May13-12, 11:30 AM
Quote Quote by influx View Post

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers
Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.
influx
May14-12, 12:13 PM
Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.

Register to reply