Dual basis and differential forms

In summary, Dual spaces and dual bases are explained in detail in Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Spence and Insel (FSI). A linear functional, f_i (x) = a_i, is represented in terms of the basis β = {x_1, x_2, ..., x_n} of V using the matrix representation [x]_β = [a_1 a_2 ... a_n]. By using the Kronecker delta function, it is proven that the dual basis of β equals {f_1, f_2, ..., f_n} as defined by FSI. However, this is not always the case as do Carmo's book Differential
Buri
I was reading about dual spaces and dual bases in the book Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Spence and Insel (FSI) and they give an example of a linear functional, f_i (x) = a_i where [x]_β = [a_1 a_2 ... a_n] denotes the matrix representation of x in terms of the basis β = {x_1, x_2, ..., x_n} of V. Now they go on to prove that {f_1, f_2, ..., f_n} is in fact the dual basis of β for V* by actually never using the fact that f_i (x) = a_i, but rather that f_i (x_j) = δ_ij, where δ_ij denotes the Kronecker delta function. I also happened to have read other references by Halmos and Lang and they did not go about actually finding the linear functionals, but rather use the fact that a linear functional that satisfies φ_i (x_j) = δ_ij exists. Now I suppose my question is, doesn't it so happen that the dual basis of β ALWAYS equals {f_1, f_2, ..., f_n} as defined by FSI? Because since φ and f agree on the basis elements in turns out that φ_i = f_i for all x.

Now here is where differential forms come in. I was reading do Carmo's book on Differential forms and he says that the basis of R³ is {dx_i; i = 1,2,3} where x_i represents the i-th coordinate function. So I guess its true that dx_i = f_i(x) from above then right? I, to be honest, find this a bit unexpected as x_i is precisely f_i when we're using the canonical basis, yet differentiating doesn't mess it up. So I actually went on to check it on some values that dx_i really does equal f_i(x). And so it seems to also verify what I was asking in the first paragraph.

Is this all right? I'd appreciate someone clarifying some of this stuff to me.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess another way of putting my question is, is the dual basis unique, in the sense that the linear functionals that form the basis are always identically equal to f_i(x) as given by FSI?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another way of putting your question is:

If you have two lists f and g of linear functionals satisfying:
fi(xj) = δ_ij
gi(xj) = δ_ij​

Can you prove that, for each i,
fi = gi
?

I guess I could since they agree on basis elements they should be equal - that's a result from linear algebra. I guess that answers my question, but the differential form example sort of throws me off...

I suppose the purpose of 'rewriting' the f_i (x) as dx_i is probably just more convenient as it is "differential" forms.

...purpose of 'rewriting' the f_i (x) as dx_i is probably just more convenient as it is "differential" forms.
The purpose is that do Carmo's is interested in differential forms defined on a manifold (or in an open set of it), not just on a single point. Therefore, given a manifold M and [itex]p \in M[/itex] and R3 is its tangent space at p, then the dual basis to the canonical one is indeed dx_i(p) and is exactly the same as the dual basis as defined in linear algebra.

This notation is useful when, for example, you have a function f defined on an open set U of M and you need df, which is then written (usually supressing p):

[tex]df(p) = \sum_{i = 1}^{n}a_{i}\left(p\right)dx_{i}\left(p\right)[/tex]

Where the a_i's are (usually) smooth functions on U.

JSuarez said:
The purpose is that do Carmo's is interested in differential forms defined on a manifold (or in an open set of it), not just on a single point. Therefore, given a manifold M and [itex]p \in M[/itex] and R3 is its tangent space at p, then the dual basis to the canonical one is indeed dx_i(p) and is exactly the same as the dual basis as defined in linear algebra.

This notation is useful when, for example, you have a function f defined on an open set U of M and you need df, which is then written (usually supressing p):

[tex]df(p) = \sum_{i = 1}^{n}a_{i}\left(p\right)dx_{i}\left(p\right)[/tex]

Where the a_i's are (usually) smooth functions on U.

Ahh that makes sense to me now. Thanks a lot JSuarez! Also thanks to Hurkyl for helping me out too! :smile:

1. What is a dual basis?

A dual basis is a set of vectors in a vector space that corresponds to a given basis, but with dual properties. These dual properties allow for the creation of linear functionals that can map the original basis vectors to real numbers.

2. How are dual bases related to differential forms?

Dual bases are crucial in the study of differential forms as they allow for the representation of such forms in terms of linear functionals. This representation is known as the coordinate-free approach and is used to simplify calculations in multivariable calculus and differential geometry.

3. Can dual bases be defined for infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

Yes, dual bases can be defined for infinite-dimensional vector spaces. In this case, the dual basis is known as a continuous dual basis and is used in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics.

4. How are dual bases and dual spaces related?

Dual bases and dual spaces are closely related as the dual basis forms a basis for the dual space. The dual space consists of all linear functionals that map the original vector space to real numbers. Therefore, the dual basis is a set of vectors that span the dual space.

5. What is the significance of dual bases and differential forms in physics?

Dual bases and differential forms are used in physics to describe quantities such as force, energy, and momentum that depend on multiple variables. The coordinate-free approach provided by differential forms allows for a more elegant and efficient way of solving problems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields of physics.