Register to reply

4th order DE

by zoom1
Tags: order
Share this thread:
zoom1
Mar3-12, 05:51 PM
P: 23
I have a 4th order differential equation with given -2 +3i root.

Now need to find the homogenous solution. Well, if the root was real, it would be easier but now I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed.

What am I supposed to do to solve this ?

Equation is : d4y(t)/dt4 +6d3y(t)/dt3 + 22d2y(t)/dt2 + 30dy(t)/dt + 13y(t) = f(t)

Just need to solve the homogenous part so f(t) is just a dummy function
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
AlephZero
Mar3-12, 06:45 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,101
The coefficients are real, so actually you have been given two complex roots, not one.

If you haven't done any formal courses about roots of polynomials, think about what you get when you solve a quadratic equation with a pair of complex roots. That should lead you to finding a quadratic factor (with real coefficients) of the 4th-order equation.
zoom1
Mar4-12, 04:42 AM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
The coefficients are real, so actually you have been given two complex roots, not one.

If you haven't done any formal courses about roots of polynomials, think about what you get when you solve a quadratic equation with a pair of complex roots. That should lead you to finding a quadratic factor (with real coefficients) of the 4th-order equation.
You're right there are two roots are given -2 - 3i and -2 + 3i
I tried to recreate a quadratic equation with those roots by assuming coefficient of a=1, b=4 and c=13. However it didn't work.

zoom1
Mar4-12, 04:54 AM
4th order DE

Ok, I've just done it, thanks though.
HallsofIvy
Mar5-12, 01:09 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,489
Great! For those who are interested, though, let me note that since [itex]-2+3i[/itex] and [itex]-2-3i[/itex] are roots then [itex](x- (-2+3i))(x-(-2-3i))= (x+2- 3i)(x+2+ 3i)= (x+2)^2- (3i)^2= x^2+ 4x+ 4+ 9= x^2+ 4x+ 13[/itex]. Now divide [itex]x^4+ 6x^3+ 22x^2+ 30x+ 13[/itex] by that to find the quadratic equation the other roots must satisfy.

Register to reply