AA vs. AAA vs. D Battery - Life Differences

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
In summary: Batteries of different physical sizes and electrical capacities have different life spans. -You can extend the life of a battery by connecting it to another battery of the same size and voltage.
jaydnul
since they're all 1.5v, what's the difference between them. Do they just have different lengths of life?

Engineering news on Phys.org
lundyjb said:
since they're all 1.5v, what's the difference between them. Do they just have different lengths of life?

Yes. Different physical sizes, so different Amp*Hour capacities. You can look at their datasheets at the battery manufacturer websites to see the differences.

You can also get them in Alkaline or rechargable types.

lundyjb said:
I'd expect the physically larger cells to offer a lower impedance, in addition to a longer life while powering a certain load, all other factors being equal.

They use to. It is the case with AAA, AA, B, C and D alkaline and zinc cells.

It also depends on design choices. More peak power also results from more electrode surface, which can then be thinner and interleaved: this is sometimes done with Ni-Cd accumulators but usually not with alkaline cells, as it also increases the self-discharge.

Do they just have different lengths of life?

I beg to differ with other esteemed posters here but what makes you think they have 'different lengths of life'?

The length of life depends upon both usage and battery electrical capacity and even upon the definition of the term 'length of life' itself.

Comparing batteries by physical size also runs into the issue of battery chemistry and terminal voltage, some are 1.2 volts some are 1.5 volts etc.

Even with the same terminal voltage chemistry influences the capacity, for instance I have a 1200 mA-hour D cell in Ni-Cad technlogy and a 2300mA-hour AA cell in NI-MH technology. Both offer a terminal voltage of 1.2 volts.

Note also that I use the term 'terminal voltage'. What do you mean by 'length of life'?
A cell will continue to power a torch or clock well beyond its usability for a digital camera.

Well i was thinking of doing this myself but just haven't got around to it. What if you get two equal wires(in length, width, material ect...) and connect the + and - terminals of the batteries (separately, to themselves)? After, say, 15 minutes, i would think a D battery would have more voltage available than a triple A battery, right?

If you would like to rephrase this in English we could help.

1. What is the difference between AA, AAA, and D batteries?

AA, AAA, and D batteries are all types of alkaline batteries commonly used in household devices such as flashlights, remote controls, and toys. The main difference between them is their size and capacity. AA batteries are the smallest and have the lowest capacity, followed by AAA batteries, and then D batteries which are the largest and have the highest capacity.

2. Which battery type lasts the longest?

The lifespan of a battery depends on various factors such as usage, storage conditions, and the type of device it is used in. However, generally speaking, D batteries have the longest lifespan due to their larger size and higher capacity. AA and AAA batteries have a similar lifespan, with AA batteries lasting slightly longer in some cases.

3. Are AA, AAA, and D batteries interchangeable?

No, AA, AAA, and D batteries are not interchangeable. Each battery type is designed for specific devices that require a certain size and voltage. Using the wrong battery type can damage the device or cause it to malfunction.

4. Are there any environmental differences between AA, AAA, and D batteries?

AA, AAA, and D batteries are all considered single-use or disposable batteries. However, D batteries have a larger capacity and therefore contain more chemicals and materials, making them potentially more harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. It is important to recycle all types of batteries to prevent harmful chemicals from entering the environment.

5. Can I use rechargeable batteries instead of AA, AAA, or D batteries?

Yes, rechargeable batteries can be used as an alternative to AA, AAA, and D batteries. However, it is important to note that rechargeable batteries may have a lower capacity and may not last as long as their disposable counterparts. It is also important to use the correct size and voltage of rechargeable batteries for your device.