Putting a simple momentum equation into words

• Thread starter tolove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, "Ʃ F = dp/dt" means that the net force acting on a particle is equal to the rate of change of momentum over time. Similarly, "∫ Ʃ F dt = ∫ dp/dt dt" states that the sum of the total net force acting on a particle over a time interval is equal to the sum of the rate of change of momentum over the same time interval, represented by the integral notation. However, the equation "Ʃ F dt = dp" is mathematically meaningful but has no physical interpretation in the real world, except as a limit or approximation. The proper wording for the first equation should be "The net force acting on a particle
tolove
Check the accuracy of my wording for these first two equations, then, if you could, try to explain the last equation for me.

Ʃ F = dp/dt
"The total net force acting on a particle is equal to the rate of change of momentum over time."

∫ Ʃ F dt = ∫ dp/dt dt
"The sum of the total net force acting on a particle over a time interval is equal to the sum of the rate of change of momentum over a time interval."

My physics book breaks up differentials like this very regularly so as to make it clear for integration. But my question is, is this step a meaningful equation, or is this simply mathematical notation?
Ʃ F dt = dp

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tolove! :smile:
tolove said:
Ʃ F = dp/dt
"The total net force acting on a particle is equal to the rate of change of momentum over time."

yes, except …

"total" and "net" mean the same, so you needn't use both

personally, i'd say that "rate" means "over time", so i'd leave that out also
∫ Ʃ F dt = ∫ dp/dt dt
"The sum of the total net force acting on a particle over a time interval is equal to the sum of the rate of change of momentum over a time interval."

"sum" is definitely wrong

it's an integral (and there's no simple-english alternative to that word) :wink:

and you need to use the word "same" … "over the same time interval"
My physics book breaks up differentials like this very regularly so as to make it clear for integration. But my question is, is this step a meaningful equation, or is this simply mathematical notation?
Ʃ F dt = dp

it's mathematically meaningful (it's a statement about mathematical objects called "differentials"),

but it has no physical meaning, except as a limit or an approximation: it would never apply to an actual time interval (unless everything is constant) :smile:

tiny-tim said:

To correct the first one,
Ʃ F = dp/dt
"The net force acting on a particle is equal to the change of momentum over time."

and for ∫ Ʃ F dt = ∫ dp/dt dt,

"The integral of the total force acting on a particle over a certain time interval is equal to the integral of the rate of change of momentum over the same time interval."

And if I wanted to remove the word "integral," I could put the Reimann sum notation into words.

These don't make good bedtime stories. Thank you for clearing up that third equation for me! That has been driving me nuts.

tolove said:
"The net force acting on a particle is equal to the change of momentum over time."

oops! :redface:

i should have been clearer … i meant leave out "over time" … you do need the words "rate of"!
"The integral of the total force acting on a particle over a certain time interval is equal to the integral of the rate of change of momentum over the same time interval."

the integral of a rate of change is just the original function, so you could shorten that to:

"The integral of the total force acting on a particle over a certain time interval is equal to the change of momentum over the same time interval."

(and of course you can shorten "The integral of the total force" to "The impulse" :wink:)
And if I wanted to remove the word "integral," I could put the Reimann sum notation into words.

how? :confused:

(without taking several paragraphs and making it really confusing :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
how? :confused:

(without taking several paragraphs and making it really confusing :redface:)

Yep! By making it long and confusing.

1. What is a momentum equation?

A momentum equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and force. It is used to describe the motion of an object in a particular direction.

2. Why is it important to put a momentum equation into words?

Putting a momentum equation into words helps to explain the physical meaning behind the mathematical symbols and equations. It also allows for a better understanding of the concept and its application in real-world situations.

3. How do you write a simple momentum equation in words?

A simple momentum equation can be written as "The momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity." It can also be written using symbols as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. What factors affect momentum in an object?

The factors that affect momentum in an object include its mass, velocity, and direction of motion. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum will be. The direction of motion also plays a role in determining the direction of an object's momentum.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant, meaning that the sum of all momentums before an event is equal to the sum of all momentums after the event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and is important in understanding the motion of objects in collisions and other interactions.