Urethane-acrylate lacquer toxicity

• Thread starter Aerstz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Toxicity
In summary: Thank you. This is what I was thinking but not knowing for sure I had to be prudent and assume the worst. I'm grateful for your reply.
Aerstz
I am not a chemist but do have a concern regarding a coating that is applied to a linoleum flooring product likely soon to be used in my bedroom.

Linoleum is the least toxic flooring type I could identify, suitable for the room in question. However, despite being made of 'natural' materials the manufacturer, Forbo, has unfortunately applied a protective coating to the linoleum made from synthetic materials with the brand name Topshield2.

Forbo states its linoleum product is “Lacquered with a waterborne UV cured urethane-
acrylate hybrid dispersion
”. It also states that it is non-toxic, but did not describe the testing condition(s).

I have read that urethane paint and lacquer are extremely toxic and carcinogenic. My concern is that, although much safer once applied and dried, there could still be a toxicity risk from the lacquer. Under normal (linoleum flooring) use – walking, moving furniture, and so on – this coating could be agitated resulting in airborne particles which could be carcinogenic and inhaled. Is this a valid/reasonable concern?

I would be very grateful for any advice regarding the merits of my concern, or lack thereof. Is the dried lacquer a different chemical to the toxic liquid form; if so, is this 'new' substance non-toxic, and any particles of it safe to inhale in quantities likely to be released through normal use of the floor?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is often misunderstood about finishes.

The finish in question is toxic as a liquid. When hardened into a film - a polymer - it is not toxic. The polymer itself is a different molecule. Other volatile chemicals (VOC's) along with water are added to make the un-polymerized molecules of the the finish stay emulsified. These VOC's are also definitely not edible.

One the finish is fully cured - the polymer has formed and the solvents including water have evaporated.

( Emulsion: Same idea is vegetable oil in mayonnaise. Mayo uses all edible products, that was just an example of getting oil to emulsify in water.)

Let me try with something everyone knows. Dining room tables. Lots of wood furniture has a gloss film finish using nitrocellulose lacquer. In liquid form this finish stinks, and is really toxic. An example is the hobby product Deft. Once the solvent is gone, you can literally use a nitrocellulose film to wrap food. It is used today.

Likes 1 person
Thank you. This is what I was thinking but not knowing for sure I had to be prudent and assume the worst. I'm grateful for your reply.

I would still be interested in reading any study on the toxicity of dust/particles of the dried lacquer should anyone be able to link to one. I haven't been able to find one myself.

Thanks again.

jim mcnamara said:
This is often misunderstood about finishes.

The finish in question is toxic as a liquid. When hardened into a film - a polymer - it is not toxic. The polymer itself is a different molecule. Other volatile chemicals (VOC's) along with water are added to make the un-polymerized molecules of the the finish stay emulsified. These VOC's are also definitely not edible.

One the finish is fully cured - the polymer has formed and the solvents including water have evaporated.

( Emulsion: Same idea is vegetable oil in mayonnaise. Mayo uses all edible products, that was just an example of getting oil to emulsify in water.)

Let me try with something everyone knows. Dining room tables. Lots of wood furniture has a gloss film finish using nitrocellulose lacquer. In liquid form this finish stinks, and is really toxic. An example is the hobby product Deft. Once the solvent is gone, you can literally use a nitrocellulose film to wrap food. It is used today.

1. What is urethane-acrylate lacquer?

Urethane-acrylate lacquer is a type of clear coating that is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings. It is a combination of urethane and acrylic resins, which gives it strong adhesion and durability.

2. Is urethane-acrylate lacquer toxic?

Yes, urethane-acrylate lacquer can be toxic if not used properly. It contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can be harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. It is important to follow safety precautions and use protective equipment when working with this type of lacquer.

3. What are the potential health effects of urethane-acrylate lacquer exposure?

Exposure to urethane-acrylate lacquer can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. Prolonged or repeated exposure can also lead to more serious health effects, such as headaches, dizziness, and even organ damage. It is important to handle and use this lacquer in a well-ventilated area to minimize exposure.

4. How can I protect myself from urethane-acrylate lacquer toxicity?

To protect yourself from urethane-acrylate lacquer toxicity, make sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, safety glasses, and a respirator. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and avoid prolonged skin contact with the lacquer.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for using urethane-acrylate lacquer?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines in place for the proper use of urethane-acrylate lacquer. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set limits for exposure to VOCs in the workplace and recommends using engineering controls and PPE to minimize exposure. Additionally, the manufacturer's safety data sheet (SDS) should be consulted for specific handling and disposal instructions.