The Science Behind Ripples in a Moving Cup

• Thread starter bbjs
  • Start date
In summary, the cup oscillates rapidly and creates concentric circles on the surface of the water it is placed on.
bbjs
Hello members!

I was dining at Tin Star and I noticed very fast, centralized ripples when sliding my cup across the table... is this a simple phenomenon or is there a basic law I am missing here? http://youtu.be/jmf21UBXMnk

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bbjs, wecome to PF!

You're simply exciting modes of vibration of the surface of the water. It's not much different from plucking a guitar string or, better analogy, hitting a drum.

notice in the video that the cup does not slide smoothly across the surface of the table. the cup is sticking to the table, then losing its grip, and then sticking again after having moved a certain distance...and this process keeps repeating itself so long as someone or something applies a continuous force to the cup (thus imparting a particular velocity to the cup as it "slides" along). increase the force applied to the cup, and its velocity across the surface of the table increases, as does the frequency of the vibrations caused by the cup's "sticking and releasing" as it slides along. it is these vibrations that make the concentric ripples on the surface of the water in the cup. b/c the entire bottom of the cup sticks and releases at the same time, the vibrations work their way through the cup symmetrically, resulting in symmetric ripples on the surface of the water in the cup.

94JZA80 said:
b/c the entire bottom of the cup sticks and releases at the same time, the vibrations work their way through the cup symmetrically, resulting in symmetric ripples on the surface of the water in the cup.
I don't think one can assume that the vibrations are uniform in the cup.

DrClaude said:
I don't think one can assume that the vibrations are uniform in the cup.

quite right...i should have been more specific in my description and said that the vibrations are approximately uniform such that the ripples on the surface of the water approximately represent concentric circles.

surely there is some flex and deformation in the bottom of the cup as it "skips" along the table b/c it is far from rigid...but, as evidenced by the surface ripples themselves, the duration of the cup's deformation and journey back to equilibrium during each "skip" is small enough (and happens quickly enough) that the individual vibrations imparted by each skip travel up the sides of the cup approximately in sync, causing ripples on the surface to approximate the appearance of concentric rings. I'm sure if we could decrease the frequency of the skips and slow down the vibrations enough, we could more easily track the movement of the surface ripples with the naked eye...and perhaps we could see some parts of each ring reach the center sooner than other parts - a giveaway that, as you pointed out, the vibrations aren't truly uniform.

What causes ripples in a moving cup?

Ripples in a moving cup are caused by the transfer of energy from the movement of the cup to the liquid inside. This creates waves that travel through the liquid, resulting in ripples on the surface.

Why do the ripples in a moving cup spread out?

The ripples in a moving cup spread out because of the laws of physics. As the waves travel through the liquid, they encounter resistance and gradually lose energy, causing them to spread out.

How do ripples in a moving cup affect the liquid?

Ripples in a moving cup can affect the liquid in various ways. They can mix the liquid, causing it to become more uniform in temperature and composition. They can also create turbulence, which can affect the movement and behavior of particles in the liquid.

Can ripples in a moving cup be used to measure the speed of the cup?

Yes, ripples in a moving cup can be used to measure the speed of the cup. By measuring the wavelength and frequency of the ripples, scientists can calculate the speed of the cup based on the properties of the liquid and the cup.

Do ripples in a moving cup have any practical applications?

Yes, ripples in a moving cup have practical applications in various fields of science and technology. They can be used to study fluid dynamics and the behavior of liquids. In addition, they can also be used in industries such as aerospace and marine engineering to improve the design of structures and vehicles that interact with liquids.