Calculating Kinetic Energy & Speed of a Particle in Beta Decay Reaction

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the kinetic energy and speed of a particle released from a beta decay reaction. The method involves subtracting the mass of the daughter particle from the parent particle, multiplying by 931.4 MeV, and rearranging the equation E=1/2mv^2 to find the speed. There is also a question about the mass of oxygen and the unit "u" which is believed to be the atomic mass unit. The conversation also includes a reference to the equation E=mc^2.
roy5995
How do i calulate the kinetic energy and speed of a particle released form a beta decay reaction?

for example, if i have Na -> Mg + e (i can't type in the atomic masses and numbers)
Would i subtract the mass of Mg from Na ?
m=m_Na-m_Mg
=23.990961u-23.985042
=0.005937u

then multiply that mass by 931.5 (b/c 1u=931.4MeV)

E=0.005937*931.4
=5.5297MeV

^^^is that the kinetic energy, or is that the energy released? they are different right?
does finding the kinetic energy involve something with the masses of daughters and masses of parents?

Once i have found the correct energy would i just rearrange the equation E=1/2mv^2 to find the speed?

Also, is the mass of, for exapmle, oxygen is 15.003065u, what is that is kg?
what does u mean? and what is the mass of an electron in 'u'

Physics news on Phys.org
You have caluculated the difference between the mass of Na and the mass of Mg but you still have the mass of the electron. If you add the mass of Mg to the mass of the electron what do you get? Is that the same as the mass of Na? If it is less, where do you think the extra mass went? (Hint: E= mc2!)

As far as "oxygen is 15.003065u" is concerned I have no idea what "u" is. My first thought was that is was really μ ("mu" for "micro-") but even that requires a base such as gram.

Are you really saying that none of this is in your textbook?

I believe u here is atomic mass unit which is defined as mass of one C-12 atom

Originally posted by himanshu121
I believe u here is atomic mass unit which is defined as mass of one C-12 atom

You mean 1/12 of the mass of one C-12 atom, right?

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy in a beta decay reaction?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy in a beta decay reaction is K = (Q - me)c2, where K is the kinetic energy, Q is the total energy released in the reaction, and me is the mass of the electron. This formula is derived from the conservation of energy and momentum principles.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a particle in a beta decay reaction?

To calculate the speed of a particle in a beta decay reaction, you can use the formula v = √(2K/m), where v is the speed, K is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the particle. This formula can also be derived from the conservation of energy and momentum principles.

3. What units are used for kinetic energy and speed in beta decay reactions?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or joules (J), while speed is measured in units of meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per second (km/s) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

4. How does the kinetic energy and speed of a particle change during a beta decay reaction?

In a beta decay reaction, the kinetic energy and speed of a particle will increase as the reaction progresses. This is because the particle is losing mass and gaining energy as it transforms into a different particle. The exact amount of change in kinetic energy and speed depends on the specific reaction and particles involved.

5. Can the kinetic energy and speed of a particle in a beta decay reaction be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy and speed of a particle in a beta decay reaction can be measured using various instruments such as particle detectors or spectrometers. These instruments can detect and measure the energy and speed of the particles involved in the reaction, providing valuable information about the nature of the reaction and the particles themselves.