Is H2 Considered a Molecule?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, H2 is a molecule composed of two hydrogen atoms bonded together. Its chemical formula is simply two hydrogen atoms, representing the ratio of elements in the molecule. H2 is a compound and is formed through a chemical reaction between two hydrogen atoms. It is a colorless, odorless, and highly flammable gas with a boiling point of -252.87°C and a melting point of -259.14°C. It is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe and is essential for many biological processes.
Benny
Hi, I was wondering if something like [itex]H_2 [/itex] is considered to be a molecule. I've read through some websites and I'm still not sure. It's been a long time since I did chemistry (although I should probably remember :biggrin: ) so any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, H2 is a diatomic molecule; a molecule consisting of two atoms. If two or more atoms are chemically bonded, then they are considered to be a molecule.

Last edited:
Thanks Hootenanny.

1. Is H2 considered a molecule?

Yes, H2 is considered a molecule. A molecule is a chemical structure that consists of two or more atoms bonded together. In the case of H2, two hydrogen atoms are bonded together to form a molecule.

2. What is the chemical formula for H2?

The chemical formula for H2 is simply two hydrogen atoms, as the subscript 2 indicates the number of atoms present in the molecule. This formula represents the ratio of elements in the molecule.

3. Is H2 a compound or an element?

H2 is a compound. A compound is a substance that is made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together. In the case of H2, the two hydrogen atoms are bonded together to form a compound.

4. How is H2 formed?

H2 is formed through a chemical reaction between two hydrogen atoms. This reaction involves the sharing of electrons between the two atoms, resulting in a covalent bond and the formation of a molecule.

5. What are the properties of H2?

H2 is a colorless, odorless, and highly flammable gas. It has a boiling point of -252.87°C and a melting point of -259.14°C. It is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe and is essential for many biological processes.