Uncovering the Mystery of a Manitoulin Island Fossil

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation is about a fossil found on Manitoulin Island in Central Ontario, Canada. The person is interested in knowing what epoch the fossil is from, and suggests it could be tube worms or graptolites. However, another person identifies the fossil as crinoids, and mentions having many large crinoids in their collection. The first person thanks them and comments on the age and uniqueness of their fossils. They also mention having a unidentified fossil in their collection that they plan on contacting a university about.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Found this fossil on Manitoulin Island in Central Ontario - Canadian Shield area. I'd be interested in knowing what epoch they're from.

I'm thinkin' it's tube worms? Graptolites?

Or rebar.

Attachments

• 060726fossil.jpg
    060726fossil.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'll beat you to the punch:

Pennyplodicus c. 2006.

Sample worth about 1 cent.

Smart ass.

They're crinoids. I have tons of them. Some are quite large.

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/jpegs/crinoids.jpg" [Broken]

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/crinoid.html" [Broken]

http://www.cretaceousfossils.com/non_cretaceous/crinoids.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
They're crinoids. I have tons of them. Some are quite large.
Thank you! I do think that's it.

Jeez, these little shapes I've got here are almost a half billion years old!

It's very cool, I have (somewhere) a disc full of pictures I've taken of my fossils. I have one that I haven't found identified anywhere. It falls into the brachiopod class, but has features never described or photographed, as far as I can tell, and I have searched EVERYTHING. One of these days I going to contact KU and see if anything like it has ever been found before.

1. What is the significance of the Manitoulin Island fossil?

The fossil found on Manitoulin Island is significant because it is a rare and well-preserved example of a prehistoric creature that lived in this area millions of years ago. It provides valuable insight into the history and evolution of the island's ecosystem.

2. How old is the Manitoulin Island fossil?

The fossil is estimated to be around 350 million years old, dating back to the Devonian period. This makes it one of the oldest and most well-preserved fossils found on Manitoulin Island.

3. What type of creature does the Manitoulin Island fossil belong to?

The fossil has been identified as belonging to a species of ancient fish called Dunkleosteus. This fish was known for its large and powerful jaw, making it one of the most fearsome predators of its time.

4. How was the Manitoulin Island fossil discovered?

The fossil was discovered by a team of scientists during a routine excavation on Manitoulin Island. They noticed a small portion of the fossil sticking out of a rock formation and carefully excavated it to reveal the complete specimen.

5. What can we learn from studying the Manitoulin Island fossil?

Studying the fossil can provide valuable information about the anatomy, behavior, and evolution of the Dunkleosteus species. It can also give us a better understanding of the environmental and climatic conditions on Manitoulin Island during the Devonian period.