Calculating pH of Na3PO4 (45.0g/L): Find the Basicity

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, we have 45.0g of Na3PO4 per liter, which equals 2.7 x 10^-1 mol. Since strong bases completely dissociate in water, [Na3PO4]=[OH-]. Using the formula pOH = -log([Na3PO4]), we get a pOH of 0.569. Therefore, the pH is 14 - 0.569 = 13.431, making it a very basic solution. However, since Na3PO4 is a weak base, the actual pH may be slightly lower. Without an equilibrium constant or ICE table, it is difficult to accurately determine the pH. Therefore, the calculated pH should be taken with caution and may need
future_vet
We have 45.0g of Na3PO4 per liter. We know it is very basic but need the pH.
I don't have the answers to all exercises, so if you could check my work, that'd be great.

So, we have g, but moles would be more useful.
So 45g x (1 mol/163.937) = 2.7 x 10^-1 mol.

We know that strong bases completely dissociate in water.
Therefore, [Na3PO4]=[OH-].
So, since pOH = - log of all that = 0.569
Therefore: pH = 14 - 0.569 = 13.431 which is indeed pretty basic.

Any mistake somewhere?

Thank you,

Joanna.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to incorporate the equilibrium constant toward solving this problem.

We do not have the equilibrium constant, and if they don't give us and don't tell us to refer to a table, it means we have to find a way around it (without an ICE table)...

No way. You will either use dissociation constant or it'll be pure guesswork.

That's exactly why I assumed that, since they said that it was very basic, it completely dissociated in H2O, and it's why I went on with calculations without an ICE table.

Well, I'll just assume it's right and see what the correction is when we get it.

1. What is the formula for calculating pH?

The formula for calculating pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

2. How do you calculate basicity?

Basicity is calculated by determining the number of hydrogen ions (H+) that can be released by a molecule or compound in an aqueous solution. This can be determined by looking at the chemical formula and identifying the number of hydrogen atoms that can be ionized.

3. What is the significance of Na3PO4 in calculating pH?

Na3PO4, also known as sodium phosphate, is a salt that dissociates in water to release basic ions, which can affect the pH of a solution. The basicity of Na3PO4 can be determined by looking at the number of basic ions that are released in the solution.

4. How is the concentration of Na3PO4 (45.0g/L) determined?

The concentration of Na3PO4 is determined by dividing the mass of the compound (in grams) by the volume of the solution (in liters). In this case, the concentration is 45.0 g/L.

5. What is the pH of a solution containing Na3PO4 (45.0g/L)?

The pH of a solution containing Na3PO4 (45.0g/L) can be calculated by first determining the basicity of the compound and then using the appropriate formula for calculating pH. The pH will depend on the concentration and basicity of Na3PO4 in the solution.