Simple Energy Problem Im missing something

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: The force exerted by the ground can be calculated using the equation W=F*d (work = force * distance), where W is the change in kinetic energy, F is the force, and d is the displacement (in this case, 0.42m). So, the equation becomes W=mg*d + F*d, and you can solve for F. In summary, the ground exerts a force on the coyote equal to the change in kinetic energy, which can be calculated using the equation W=mg*d + F*d.
Stevedye56
The coyote, whose mass is 20.0kg, is chasing the roadrunner when the coyote accidentally runs off the edge of a cliff and plummets to the ground 30.0m below. What force does the ground exert on the coyote as he makes a coyote-shaped dent .420m deep in the ground?

I know that he hits the ground with a force of 6,000J becasue the PE=mgh at the top, Assuming that none of his energy is lost to air resistance he will hit the ground with that same force because all of the potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy. I am just not sure how to get the force. I know F=ma but that seems just to simple.

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Stevedye56 said:
What force does the ground exert on the coyote as he makes a coyote-shaped dent .420m deep in the ground?

Do you mean, what is the force which the ground exerts on the coyote while he's been slammed into the ground? If so, use the fact that the change of kinetic energy from the position above the ground to the position when the coyote is stuck in the ground (where his speed = 0) equals the sum of work of gravity (i.e. the coyote's weight) and the work of the force which the ground exerts on him, along the displacement of 0.42 [m]. I hope I didn't miss something.

radou said:
Do you mean, what is the force which the ground exerts on the coyote while he's been slammed into the ground? If so, use the fact that the change of kinetic energy from the position above the ground to the position when the coyote is stuck in the ground (where his speed = 0) equals the sum of work of gravity (i.e. the coyote's weight) and the work of the force which the ground exerts on him, along the displacement of 0.42 [m]. I hope I didn't miss something.

Im not sure i understand what your are saying. Are you saying that the force is just mg? Or am i not reading correctly

Stevedye56 said:
Im not sure i understand what your are saying. Are you saying that the force is just mg? Or am i not reading correctly

No, the force is not just mg. While being slammed into the ground, the forces acting on the coyote are gravity, and the force which the ground exerts on the coyote (in the opposite direction than gravity), which is the force you need to find.

1. What is a simple energy problem?

A simple energy problem is a mathematical or scientific question that involves the calculation or analysis of energy-related concepts, such as potential energy, kinetic energy, or thermal energy.

2. What are some examples of simple energy problems?

Examples of simple energy problems include calculating the potential energy of an object at a certain height, determining the kinetic energy of a moving object, or analyzing the relationship between temperature and thermal energy in a system.

3. How do I solve a simple energy problem?

To solve a simple energy problem, you will need to apply relevant formulas and equations that relate to the specific type of energy being considered. You will also need to accurately identify and quantify the relevant variables and units involved in the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes in solving simple energy problems?

Common mistakes in solving simple energy problems include using incorrect formulas or equations, using inconsistent units, and forgetting to include all relevant variables in the calculation.

5. How can I improve my ability to solve simple energy problems?

To improve your ability to solve simple energy problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental energy concepts and their mathematical representations. Practice and repetition can also help you become more familiar with the types of problems and strategies used in energy problem-solving.