Does the resistance of an LDR vary with frequency?

In summary: This is an LDR made by Nichia Corporation, model LTSpice-3. I do not have a link to the specification sheet, but I can tell you that the LTSpice-3 is a photodiode LDR with an input range of 0.3-3.6V and an output range of 0.9-4.2V.
nirvana
Hi frnds

Iam working on an investigatory project wherein iam studying the variation of resistance of an LDR with intensity of radiation and frequency.
Regarding the frequency dependence iam having a doubt as the results tht I've got arent consistent.
Could anyone guide me... whether resistance of an LDR depend upon frequency?
If so how is the variation
For this I took cellophene papers of diff colours over a light source and placed the LDR below it and measured the R with multimeter for diff colours.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the rsults you've got for the frequency dependence? What do you anticipate it should be, and why?

Do you know how a standard semiconductor LDR works (i.e., the principle behinds its operation)?

Gokul43201 said:
What are the rsults you've got for the frequency dependence? What do you anticipate it should be, and why?

Do you know how a standard semiconductor LDR works (i.e., the principle behinds its operation)?
the results taken for 4 colours are as folows:

BLUE:3090 ohm
GREEN:1480 ohm
YELLOW:730ohm
RED:1030 ohm ...one of these reading is causing a problem in setting a trend.But As far as my knowledge is concerned I think the resistance of an LDR should fall with increasing frequency of incident radiation,but surprisingly the obsvn is highly contradicting.Moreover the LDRs have highest sensitivity towards Green light...but even this doesn't reflect in the readings...but iam pretty sure abt the accuracy of the readings.
But I do not have enough ref material, i isn't in our syllabus and moreover the internet has less info.
Iam in a fix ...pls help
thankyou

Last edited:
Hmm...those results are a bit unusual. For one thing, I would have expected a larger resistance for red and yellow, with a typical (CdS) LDR. The reason for that, is that most LDRs are usually direct badgap semiconductors with a bandgap of about 2.5eV, which is roughly equivalent in energy to 500nm wavelength light. This is the minimum energy needed to make a drop in resistance. Pure red and yellow light have larger wavelengths than 500nm (and hence insufficient energy), so would not be expected to have any noticeable effect on resistance. But if the LDR you are using is different, it may have a smaller bandgap and hence respond to all wavelengths of visible light.

There are, however, some experimental considerations that are important. For instance, how do you know that the light coming out through the different color filters has the same intensity? What is your light source? If the spectrum of the source is non-uniform (eg: if the light looks yellow) in the visible region, that would make for different intensities at different frequencies.

Do you know what kind of LDR this is? Do you have a link to the specification sheet, or do you know the make and model?

1. What is a light dependent resistor?

A light dependent resistor, also known as an LDR or photoresistor, is a type of electronic component that changes its resistance based on the amount of light it is exposed to.

2. How does a light dependent resistor work?

A light dependent resistor is made of a semiconductor material that decreases in resistance as more light is absorbed. This change in resistance can be used to control the flow of current in a circuit.

3. What are the applications of light dependent resistors?

Light dependent resistors are commonly used in light sensors, automatic night lights, and camera light meters. They can also be used in burglar alarms and solar panels.

4. How do I use a light dependent resistor in a circuit?

To use a light dependent resistor in a circuit, you would connect it in series with a resistor and a power source. The resistance of the LDR will change based on the light, thus changing the voltage and current in the circuit.

5. Can a light dependent resistor be used in all types of light?

No, light dependent resistors are most sensitive to visible light, but can also respond to infrared and ultraviolet light. They do not respond to non-visible light such as radio waves or x-rays.