Help My Daughter Succeed in AP Chem

• Thread starter jamin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Chem
In summary, my daughter and a large portion of her class are struggling in AP Chem. Any has any link or have any beneficial suggestion for her. She is very motivated. She only has a grade of "C"I've not studied Chemistry since college, and I'm not familiar with the AP exams, so don't know what's on the syllabus, and thus may not be the best informed person to help here. However, this thread on Chemistry tutorials and this one on Chemistry websites provide links which may be of use to her. I'm sure there are people who are more familiar with the particular exam syllabus who may be able to provide more specific advice. AP science/math classes are all about practicing. She just needs practice in
jamin123
My daughter and a large portion of her class are struggling in AP Chem. Any has any link or have any beneficial suggestion for her. She is very motivated.
She only has a grade of "C"

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've not studied Chemistry since college, and I'm not familiar with the AP exams, so don't know what's on the syllabus, and thus may not be the best informed person to help here. However, this thread on Chemistry tutorials and this one on Chemistry websites provide links which may be of use to her. I'm sure there are people who are more familiar with the particular exam syllabus who may be able to provide more specific advice.

What is she having trouble with?

You should suggest she start visiting our HW help section whenever she runs into trouble on her HW problems, or doesn't understand something from class. We do have some folks who are actively helping with chemistry questions, and who can help her fill in gaps in her knowledge that become evident from those questions. Since our most fundamental rule is that students have to show their own effort before we help, it's not just a place where someone else is going to do her homework for her.

AP science/math classes are all about practicing. She just needs practice in problem solving, because problem solving is a skill, and a significant portion of the course is dependant on skill. Generally, problem solving is more stressed than knowledge of theory (this actually is dependant on the instructor). But in my experience, AP chemistry and Physics is mostly problem solving skills. She just needs to practice. What i do is i do as many of the book problems as possible for the most practice, and my teacher usually let's me borrow that solutions manual. I would reccomend she just keeps doing textbook problems and borrowing the solutions manual to check her answers. If her teacher doesn't have the solutions manual for whatever reason, i would suggest buying the accompanying solutions manual for her textbook. Amazon sells solution manual for most AP chemistry textbooks, but they are pricey. It may be worth it though.

how good is she at algebra? I've seen tons and tons of students in college struggle in basic science classes simply because their algebra skills were not up to par.

gravenewworld said:
how good is she at algebra? I've seen tons and tons of students in college struggle in basic science classes simply because their algebra skills were not up to par.

thats a very good point, if one can't do basic math, they will mess up the answer even if they set up the problem correctly.

I would say for chemistry, atleast for my class, its about an equal balance between concepts and problem solving. Personally, i think the knowledge of theory in chemistry is actually very helpful in problem solving, and chemistry is very cumulative. That may be one of the reasons why she may be struggling. For example, right now in my ap chem class, we are doing titrations and buffers and acids and bases.
Knowledge is titrations and buffers is very dependant upon general acid base equilibria, which is dependant on gnereal chemical equilibria, which is dependant on chemical equations and gases, which is dependant on stiochiometry, which is basically dependant on dimensional analysis, the very first skill developed in practically all science classes.
So, the root of struggling may be that she hasnt grasped previous material, and that will just lead downhill.

For success in any subject it is important that one is thorough with the concepts. I would like you the refer pie tutorial handbooks for neatly classified and thoroughly explained solutions. Besides just tell your daughter to get her basics in mathematics right. It is just a matter of applying concentration and common sense. There is nothing extraordinary in science.

What are the most important study strategies for AP Chemistry?

The most important study strategies for AP Chemistry include reviewing key concepts regularly, practicing with past exams and practice problems, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and actively engaging with the material through note-taking and hands-on experiments.

How can I help my daughter stay motivated in AP Chemistry?

To help your daughter stay motivated in AP Chemistry, encourage her to set achievable goals, celebrate her successes, and remind her of the long-term benefits of taking the course. Additionally, providing a positive and supportive learning environment can also help her stay motivated.

What resources are available for extra help in AP Chemistry?

There are many resources available for extra help in AP Chemistry, such as online study guides, tutoring services, review books, and study groups. Your daughter can also seek help from her teacher or attend after-school review sessions.

How can I support my daughter during the stressful times in AP Chemistry?

To support your daughter during the stressful times in AP Chemistry, remind her to take breaks and practice self-care, offer to help with organizing study materials or creating a study schedule, and provide emotional support by listening and offering encouragement.

What can I do to help my daughter prepare for the AP Chemistry exam?

To help your daughter prepare for the AP Chemistry exam, make sure she has a thorough understanding of all the key concepts, provide her with practice exams and review materials, and help her create a study plan that includes frequent review and practice. Additionally, encourage her to get a good night's sleep and eat a nutritious breakfast on the day of the exam.