Is Astrophysics a Viable Career Option for Me?

In summary: PhD in astrophysics or a related field with strong research experience, excellent communication, problem solving, and administrative skills.”In summary, if you are good at astrophysics and really enjoy the science, a career as an academic or researcher may be a rewarding option. However, it will not be very financially lucrative. A career in the military or private industry may be a better option if you are looking for a career in a cutting-edge field.
Nietsnie
Hi, I am currently a second year BSc student in South Africa doing physics,chem and math. I've always been interested in space and I am considering going into astrophysics as an career option. I'm just unsure whether there is a demand for astrophysicists around and what the future of astrophysics looks like at the moment. So could anyone perhaps help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go the Military and Corporations

If you want to work on the cutting-edge of your field, join the military, or a private corporation working on satellites etc.!
I wouldn't bother with educational institutions and universities, as a career, (the curriculum is too closed for expanding hidden potentials...).

Note, that the above options are fine for researchers who don't mind accepting current dogma, and for those who don't mind "towing the line".

Originally posted by Nietsnie
Hi, I am currently a second year BSc student in South Africa doing physics,chem and math. I've always been interested in space and I am considering going into astrophysics as an career option. I'm just unsure whether there is a demand for astrophysicists around and what the future of astrophysics looks like at the moment. So could anyone perhaps help point me in the right direction?
Welcome to Physics Forums Nietsnie!

If you love the science and are very good at it, there's nothing more rewarding than a research career, whether in academia or a public or private institutions. However, it will not likely be very rewarding financially, compared with what you may be able to make in private industry (not necessarily in astrophysics).

The trick is to work out what sort of demand there will be once you've finished your Ph.D.

I am also interested in astrophysics. I will be a college freshman in SC, where I am currently a physics major. I took intro 2 years ago as well as classes in chem, modern, astro, & an independent study. I would like to be an astrophysicist, but I probably lack the intelligence to do so. I was at the very bottom of my class, (i never made much over 85) although in my defense I went to a state funded high school for students gifted in math/science. All the students in the upper phy classes were in math classes 3 levels higher than me, courtesy of previous education. They were also entirely male. Due to dorm separation, I was excluded from all of the study sessions as well as being on my own as far as homework. Meaning the teacher had to teach me a lot of the math to be able to do the hwk. I don't know if this is something I could actually do, although I really like the field.

I wanted to ask a couple of personal experience questions to any astrophysicists out there.
1. How capitalistic/competitive is this field? I don't want to enter into a dog eat dog environment where you have to safeguard ideas.
2. What made you decide to join this field?
3. What is a typical day like?
4. Is this field more empirical or theoretical?

I was also wondering where I could find textbooks that might be useful. I had been looking for an internship or something for the summer where I could get an idea of what an actual career would be like, but I couldn't find one for this summer.

Answers (related to my experience as an Astronomer/Astrophysicist);

(1) Not very competitive at all, as a “normal” Astronomer/Astrophysicist.
However, it is VERY competitive in the military/private corporations.
You DO have to safeguard your ideas/theories though. Don’t doubt that the corporations/military will “put you over a barrel”, if you come up with something revolutionary. They will.

(2) Watching a Total Solar Eclipse in 1977. I fell in love with the “daytime stars”. Satellite tracking and UFO sightings, just quenched my thirst for knowledge and understanding more… That’s what got me into Astronomy.
What got me into Astrophysics (and high-energy particle physics) was mucking around with my mate’s Backyard “Underground” Particle Accelerator (which he somehow built from scratch – a bloody genius).

(3) I do my astrophysics in the day (theory), astronomy/satellite tracking at night.
Each day spent in the field is wonderful.

(4) The field is mostly theoretical (astrophysics). Astronomy is much more hands on – especially if you have access to a good telescope.

For career information 9in America), try sites like this;
http://www.jinaweb.org/html/jobs.html

For job vacancies – “New Scientist” magazine sometimes has some good positions offered. Also,

Please note, however, that this is just my personal experience. It is unusual in some respects, as I am “not employed by any official agency”. I am (now) a renegade Astronomer/Astrophysicist…

Maybe somebody else can post their experiences.

The "He" Profession...

Oh yeh, it is (unfortunately) a very “backward” field, in respect of females being employed. This is evidenced in the above link;

“The successful candidate…. . He is expected to develop new ideas on technical approaches…”

Most employers just “assume” that the applicants will be male (as per your experience). However, don’t let that faze you!
It IS the best job in the world!
Also, I know many females (mostly Russian/Ukrainian) who are much brighter than the males I come across. I find female Astrophysicists to be much more open-minded to new theory…

I wouldn't mind a job working as a professional celestial mechanic. As long as I could keep on raising my goats and apple trees.

Jerry Abbott

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is the branch of science that deals with the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe. It combines principles of physics, astronomy, and mathematics to study and understand the universe and its origins.

2. What are the job opportunities for a career in astrophysics?

Careers in astrophysics can include research positions at universities and government agencies, teaching positions, data analysis and management roles, and positions in the space and aerospace industries. There are also opportunities for astrophysicists in science communication and outreach, as well as consulting and policy-making roles.

3. How do I become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in astrophysics or astronomy. Obtaining research experience and participating in internships can also help prepare you for a career in astrophysics.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in astrophysics?

Astrophysics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important, as well as the ability to communicate complex concepts to others. Additionally, being open-minded, curious, and creative can also be beneficial in this field.

5. What are some current areas of research in astrophysics?

Some current areas of research in astrophysics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the search for exoplanets and potential habitable worlds, the origins and evolution of the universe, and the study of gravitational waves. There is also ongoing research in cosmology, black holes, and the formation and structure of galaxies.