C, Random numbers within 1 second problem

In summary, srand() is used to reset the seed of the random number generator, but if it is called multiple times within the same second, it will return the same value. It is best to only call srand() once at the start of the program.
gab_6666
Hi, I try to get different random numbers with srand(time(0)) then rand() but the problem is that the program do it million times within 1 second and return the same value 1 million times.

How could I obtain different values without sleeping the processor ?

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
srand() resets the starting point (the seed) of the random number generator.
If you use the same value for srand() you will always get the same sequence of random numbers. You should only call srand() once at the start of the program, and even that isn't really necesary.
Calling srand() with time is a quick trick to get a different number everytime the program is started, but obviously if you call it within the same second you get the same valalue.

for your question! One possible solution to this problem could be to use a different seed value for srand() each time the program is run. You could use a combination of the current time and the process ID to generate a unique seed value for each run. This would ensure that the random numbers generated are different each time the program is executed. Another option could be to use a different random number generation algorithm that is not based on the system time, such as a linear congruential generator or a Mersenne Twister. This would also help to avoid the repetition of the same random values. Additionally, you could try to introduce some variation in the program's execution, such as adding a small delay between each call to rand(), to ensure that the random numbers are not generated too quickly and potentially repeat. I hope this helps!

1) How can I generate a random number in C within 1 second?

There are a few ways to generate a random number in C within 1 second. One option is to use the function rand(), which is part of the standard C library. Another option is to use a more advanced random number generator library, such as the random() function from the stdlib library. Both of these options should be able to generate a random number within 1 second.

2) Does the speed of my computer affect the generation of random numbers in C?

Yes, the speed of your computer can affect the generation of random numbers in C. The faster your computer is, the faster it can perform calculations and generate random numbers. However, as long as your computer meets the minimum system requirements, it should still be able to generate random numbers within 1 second.

3) What is the range of numbers that can be generated using the rand() function in C?

The rand() function in C generates pseudo-random numbers between 0 and RAND_MAX, which is a constant defined in the stdlib library. The value of RAND_MAX can vary depending on the implementation, but it is typically a large number, such as 32767.

4) Can I generate truly random numbers in C within 1 second?

No, it is not possible to generate truly random numbers in C within 1 second. The random numbers generated by the rand() function are pseudo-random, meaning they are not truly random but appear to be random based on a predetermined algorithm. To generate truly random numbers, you would need to use a hardware device or a more advanced random number generator library.

5) How can I ensure that the same random numbers are not generated in C within 1 second?

To ensure that the same random numbers are not generated in C within 1 second, you can use the srand() function to seed the random number generator. This function takes an integer as a parameter and sets the starting point for the pseudo-random number sequence. By using a different seed value each time, you can generate different random numbers within 1 second.