Conservation of Energy Block Problem

In summary, a 3.20 kg block starts at rest and slides a distance d down a frictionless 30.0° incline, where it runs into a spring. The block slides an additional 20.5 cm before it is brought to rest momentarily by compressing the spring, whose spring constant k is 438 N/m.
GorgonSed

Homework Statement

A 3.20 kg block starts at rest and slides a distance d down a frictionless 30.0° incline, where it runs into a spring (Fig. 8-6). The block slides an additional 20.5 cm before it is brought to rest momentarily by compressing the spring, whose spring constant k is 438 N/m.

W0151-N.jpg

(a) What is the value of d? (I solved this, 0.38196 Meters)

(b) What is the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest? (This is the issue)

The Attempt at a Solution

(b) What is the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest?
I thought that the point where the block had the greatest speed was actually right at the point described in the question, so I tried 0, but it was incorrect. I don't even know where to start, Help Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
GorgonSed said:
(b) What is the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest?
I thought that the point where the block had the greatest speed was actually right at the point described in the question, so I tried 0, but it was incorrect. I don't even know where to start, Help Please!

Yeah, at first glance, it seems like it ought to be the case that the greatest speed of the block is attained just as it hits the spring. But don't forget that the block is still descending as it compresses the spring. What does the function for velocity look like during this phase of the block's journey?

I thought so to at first, but then...

look at the distance the block moves while compressing the spring. For at least a few centimeters the net force is still down-slope, so the block will still accelerate for a while after first contacting the spring. You need to find a point where the net force is zero.

Edit: Ye beat me to the punch there.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I got it. It did keep accelerating, I forgot to consider that. If you want to know, the answer was 3.57991 cm

GorgonSed said:
Thanks guys I got it. It did keep accelerating, I forgot to consider that. If you want to know, the answer was 3.57991 cm

I got that too, but please, sig figs please, it's 3.58 cm.

GorgonSed said:

I'll comment here that spring-on-an-incline problems are an introductory physics exam favorite. The instructor gets to throw kinetic energy and two flavors of potential energy into the same problem. And the most frequent mistake students make on this sort of problem (among those who know what should be kept track of in the analysis) is forgetting that extra bit of gravitational potential energy released from the block(-Earth system) as the spring is compressed. (That's a ProTip! -- which I overlook myself from time to time...)

1. What is the concept of conservation of energy?

The concept of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to the block problem?

In the block problem, the conservation of energy applies as the total amount of energy (kinetic and potential) of the block remains constant throughout its motion. This means that as the block moves, its kinetic energy may change, but the change is always accompanied by an equal and opposite change in its potential energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating the potential energy of a block?

The potential energy of a block can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the block.

4. How does the conservation of energy explain the motion of the block in the problem?

The conservation of energy explains the motion of the block by showing that as the block moves down the ramp, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This is because the energy is being transferred from potential to kinetic as the block moves towards the ground. At the bottom of the ramp, all of the potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, resulting in the block's maximum speed.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in the block problem?

No, the conservation of energy cannot be violated in the block problem. As long as there are no external forces acting on the block, the total energy will remain constant. Any changes in the block's kinetic or potential energy are a result of the conversion of energy from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains the same.