How Do Ammeters and Voltmeters Function in a Circuit Diagram?

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ammeters and voltmeters in circuit analysis, with a focus on how they measure current and voltage. It is explained that an ammeter measures the rate of electron flow, while a voltmeter acts like a pressure gauge. The importance of understanding the difference between the two meters is emphasized. The conversation also touches on the necessity of a resistor in series with an ammeter, the effects of adding more paths to a circuit, and the role of resistance in determining the flow of current.
salman213
Hi I am taking a fundamentals of circuit analysis class and i was just reviewing by circuit diagrams and i found a diagram that looks like this:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1344/44782290yf4.jpg

Well i know electrons are going from negative to the positive but it says

A1 measures teh total current delivered by the battary
A2 measures the current passing through R4
V1 measures the battery voltage
V2 measures the voltage across R2 and R3

I was wondering HOW the ammeter and voltmeter measure this. Like can someone outline where the current passes through. How does the current go into the voltmeter and ammeter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Entire current goes through the ammeter, but none goes through the voltmeter (ideally).

You can think of an ammeter as a resistor with 0 resistance, and voltmeter with infinite resistance.

Last edited:
It may help to think of an ammeter as a RATE meter. It is measuring the number of electrons passing a given point in a given amount of time. A voltmeter is more like a pressure gauge. Ideally it does not allow any electrons to pass in order to arrive at its reading. I get the vibe that you maybe do not quite fully understand the difference between the 2 meters. So, with my given analogy and waht's info about zero and infinite resistance relating to the 2 types of meters, can you understand why A2 is measuring ONLY the current going through R4?

The ammeter measures power. The voltmeter measures the amount of power but the ohmmeter is the deciding factor. Always remember ohms law, I equals E over R. They are all dependent on each other but that is why it is called Ohms law. Read it, study it and memorize it. It may save your life someday.

capnahab said:
The ammeter measures power. The voltmeter measures the amount of power but the ohmmeter is the deciding factor. Always remember ohms law, I equals E over R. They are all dependent on each other but that is why it is called Ohms law. Read it, study it and memorize it. It may save your life someday.

That is not correct. Neither the voltmeter nor the ammeter measure power.

capnahab said:
The ammeter measures power. The voltmeter measures the amount of power but the ohmmeter is the deciding factor.

What?? :bugeye:

Surely you are kidding.

Thanks for replying,
RE: Averagesupernova
The A2 ammeter measures the current traveling through the R4 resistor becuase the current travels through that resistor before reaching the A2 ammeter.

I have a few more questions if anyone can help :)

I also was wondering why is it necessary for a resistor to be connected in series with the ammeter. Why can't the ammeter measure current without a resistor in place? Without a resistor will there be like infinite current?

by the way
if u add more "paths" to a circuit the current distributes evenly right?
Therefore the current decreases since less electrons are passing through an ammeter?

Last edited:
salman213 said:
I also was wondering why is it necessary for a resistor to be connected in series with the ammeter. Why can't the ammeter measure current without a resistor in place?

It's not necessary per se but...

salman213 said:
Without a resistor will there be like infinite current?

Yes, there would be infinite current flow (theoretically) through it (a simple short circuit of the power supply - assuming nothing else were in the circuit).

[tex] I = \frac{V}{R} [/tex]

As [tex]R \rightarrow 0[/tex], [tex]I[/tex] would tend to [tex]\infty[/tex].

In real life the fuse would blow on the meter to protect it from damage, and the current wouldn't be infinite, just really high (relatively speaking) due to some very small resistance in the wires.

CS

ops i edited my post a little..

Thanks for ur reply again

"by the way
Therefore the current decreases since less electrons are passing through an ammeter?
"

also

for potential difference when looking at V2 in my diagram can we say V2 is measuring the potential difference across R2 and R4? Because the current which will go through R4 will be the same that will go into R3? and the voltmeter is measuring the at the point in between the end of R4 and beginning of R3.

I guess maybe I am sort of confused on how the current travels through a circuitt that has more than one path

Last edited:
salman213 said:
"by the way
"

also

for potential difference when looking at V2 in my diagram can we say V2 is measuring the potential difference across R2 and R4? Because the current which will go through R4 will be the same that will go into R3? and the voltmeter is measuring the at the point in between the end of R4 and beginning of R3.

I guess maybe I am sort of confused on how the current travels through a circuitt that has more than one path

Current has a tendency to follow the path of least resistance. It does not flow evenly unless all the paths have equal resistance. The more resistance, the less current will flow. This should be intuitive based on Ohm's Law.

The answer to your second question can be answered with the previous explanation (i.e. it depends on the value of each resistor).

Hope that helps.

CS

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed path or loop through which electricity flows. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and switches, and is used to control the flow of electricity to perform a specific function.

2. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by creating a path for electrons to flow from a power source, such as a battery, through various components and back to the power source. The components in the circuit, such as resistors, control the flow of electrons and can change the voltage or current in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided between them. This means that the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, whereas in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How do you calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be written as V = I x R. To calculate any of these values, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the desired variable.

5. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It shows the components in the circuit and how they are connected, making it easier to understand the circuit's function and troubleshoot any issues. It also allows for easier communication and replication of circuits between scientists and engineers.