Where is Magnetic Force Zero for Two Parallel Wires?

In summary, in the picture provided, two parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions are shown. The question asks where the magnetic force will never be zero. It is stated that one would need to know the currents in order to answer this question. The conversation also mentions the right hand rule, which relates the direction of the current to the curl of the magnetic field. It is explained that the two magnetic fields will cancel each other out if the currents are equal. Therefore, without knowing the currents, it is not possible to determine where the magnetic force will never be zero.
solars
In the picture, two parallel wires carry currents in opposite direction. Where will the magnetic force never be zero?
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4706/31130394mv0.th.jpg [Broken]

1. you need to know the currents to answer this question
2. nowhere
3. part A
4 part B
5 part C

All I know about these two wires for sure is that they will repel each other and so move away from each other. I relaly don't know where the magnetic force will never be zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the right hand rule? This is the rule that relates the direction of the current with the curl of the magnetic field.

In this case, for I(1) you point your right thumb toward the right (following the current) and you will see that your fingers curl toward you, so the magnetic field from this wire comes out of the page.

For I(2), point your right thumb to the left and your fingers curl in, so this B-field goes into the page.

These two fields will cancel IFF the currents are equal (which would result in two equal fields that are opposite in direction).

However, since we don't know the currents the answer is (1), you need to know the currents to answer this question.

thanks!

1. What is meant by "Magnetic Force Zero"?

"Magnetic Force Zero" refers to the point at which the magnetic force between two parallel wires is equal to zero. This occurs when the wires are positioned in a way that the magnetic fields they produce cancel each other out.

2. Why is it important to know where Magnetic Force Zero is for two parallel wires?

Understanding where Magnetic Force Zero occurs is important for various applications, such as in designing electrical circuits and devices. It allows for the precise positioning of wires to minimize interference and maximize efficiency.

3. How is Magnetic Force Zero calculated for two parallel wires?

Magnetic Force Zero is calculated by using the formula F = μ0*I1*I2*L/(2πd), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

4. Can Magnetic Force Zero occur at any point between the two parallel wires?

Yes, Magnetic Force Zero can occur at any point between the two parallel wires as long as the distance between the wires and the currents in the wires are properly balanced.

5. How does the direction of current flow affect the location of Magnetic Force Zero?

The direction of current flow does not affect the location of Magnetic Force Zero. It is solely determined by the distance between the wires and the magnitude of the currents.