Collection of Lame Jokes

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: It's a humor that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness. It's not for everyone.Not a fan of surrealism, I take it?In summary, surrealism is an art form that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness, often producing incongruous imagery or effects. It may not be appreciated by everyone, but for those who do, it can be quite humorous.
  • #3,606
nuuskur said:
What is yellow, linear, normed and complete?

A Bananach space!
You know the best thing about Bananachs? You can cut them up and reassemble them into two Bananachs...

Likes EnumaElish and nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,607
Noisy Rhysling said:
Blind people can't read a sign nor recognize the shape.
Sure?

Likes davenn and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,608
A couple of friends super glued a baby carrier onto the top of their car and went driving around LA. The cops weren't amused.

Likes Stavros Kiri
  • #3,609
mfb said:
The important signs are very similar in most parts of the world. You have to learn them once, but that is no problem, and you don't forget how a stop sign looks like for example.

You know English, and you are used to the traffic signs - but that is not the only perspective that matters here. Imagine you go to Japan and all Japanese traffic signs would be in Japanese text only. Can you see an issue?
Stop is obvious and the same in US. What about the sign "No parking or standing"? I always confuse it with the like ...

In the case you describe, in Japan, they would simply have you get a local driver's licence, or you wouldn't be allowed to drive. The same in most countries, despite the sign code. In USA, because most people around the world nowdays understand basic English, they allow foreign driver's licences, since the signs have no code (just read) and driving is in many ways simpler. If you don't speak English however you wouldn't want to drive, unless you passed a written test.

I think it's all very reasonable.

As far as English being a dominant language (and we accept that with ease in PF too), that's of course a totally different story! ...
[+, if there was an indeed universal "Earth" language, wouldn't it be easier to have short obvious texts than signs? Do a poll. Most drivers don't even know their signs (thus the accidents).]

• #3,610
240px-Zeichen_283_-_Haltverbot%2C_StVO_1970.svg.png

This is the German sign for "no parking or stopping", various other countries use extremely similar signs.

Stavros Kiri said:
In the case you describe, in Japan, they would simply have you get a local driver's licence, or you wouldn't be allowed to drive.
In other words: that would be more complicated than necessary.I think signs are better than written text even if everyone on Earth would speak the same native language. You can recognize them easier, from a longer distance, and with less distration from traffic. The most important signs (regulating who can drive first) all have different shapes so they are recognizable even if they are totally covered with snow, for example.
Stavros Kiri said:
Most drivers don't even know their signs (thus the accidents)
I doubt there are many accidents due to people not knowing what street signs mean.

• #3,611
IMG_2218.JPG
Pretzel shop to the left?

IMG_2219.JPG
Thought police on duty?

IMG_1810.JPG
Heavy truck attracted to ladder?

Likes Ibix, dkotschessaa, OCR and 2 others
  • #3,612
mfb said:
View attachment 199883

This is the German sign for "no parking or stopping", various other countries use extremely similar signs.
AAAKKKKK ! To me that look like it means "DON'T DO ANYTHING. DON'T EVEN MOVE. WAIT HERE FOR THE POLICE TO SHOW UP !"

Likes dkotschessaa and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,613
phinds said:
AAAKKKKK ! To me that look like it means "DON'T DO ANYTHING. DON'T EVEN MOVE. WAIT HERE FOR THE POLICE TO SHOW UP !"
Well, if you do wait there and don't do anything the police will show up, so it looks like the message is getting through...

Likes fresh_42, mfb and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,614
Just another side note: If you are used to a certain direction in roundabouts, and suddenly drive in a country, in which it is the other way around, you will certainly manage to deal with it. But a small blue sign with a white arrow to remind you, can be really, really helpful! I don't dare to think about a text written somewhere!

Likes EnumaElish
  • #3,615
Ahem.

• #3,616
"Siri, still beer in the fridge?"
"Who gives a <peep>? Ask your new <peep> Alexa!"

• #3,617
fresh_42 said:
Just another side note: If you are used to a certain direction in roundabouts, and suddenly drive in a country, in which it is the other way around, you will certainly manage to deal with it. But a small blue sign with a white arrow to remind you, can be really, really helpful! I don't dare to think about a text written somewhere!
There are such signs in the US too. Alert signs and obvious situations still have both sign and text (just in case), trying that way to make driving more 'Common Sense'. (Unlike the "No parking or stopping" or the "priority road" sign). The idea being (IMO) that you want driving to be accessible and tangible to most people. (More people can read than are effectively able to memorize and apply over 40 signs or so)

But I admit that plain signs have many advantages too (especially visibility), providing they are used effectively.

However the problem is that most (or many) drivers do not pay attention to any signs!
Take a look, and count how many:

• #3,619
sorry to my USA friends ... welllll maybe not :wink::-p

upload_2017-5-8_18-53-45.png

Likes nuuskur and Ibix
  • #3,620
davenn said:

View attachment 200149
That's okay, youu lout havue a probleum with "u", but it addus colour to youur versioun of the languague.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,621
davenn said:

View attachment 200149
An excellent point!
<Leaps to feet, salutes, sings God Save the Queen>

Likes davenn
  • #3,622
Ibix said:
An excellent point!
<Leaps to feet, salutes, sings God Save the Queen>

LOL I'm not a royalist ( am sure there's a better word) but they are basically an OK mob
their influence in the colonies, as here in Australia, these days is pretty much non-existant and we would be much better off being a republic
There have been several votes to the same over the years but they have yet to succeed :rolleyes:

• #3,623
upload_2017-5-9_22-5-23.png

Likes Stavros Kiri, nuuskur and EnumaElish
  • #3,625
davenn said:
LOL I'm not a royalist ( am sure there's a better word) but they are basically an OK mob
I just enjoyed caricaturing the kind of person I imagine might take the meme seriously. English is what the speakers mean by English, which includes dialects like American English and the Queen's English too.

Do you know the difference between a language and a dialect? A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

Likes jim mcnamara, OmCheeto and EnumaElish
  • #3,626
Ibix said:
Do you know the difference between a language and a dialect? A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
So what is it, that the Scottish call English? I always have the greatest difficulties when following John Higgins in an interview. (Not that Ronnie would be so much better though ...)

• #3,627
fresh_42 said:
So what is it, that the Scottish call English?
I have trouble with thick Scottish accents. But I think Scottish English is just a dialect, although a fairly well developed one. Also, Scots may choose to throw in the odd word of Gaelic, just to keep you off balance I think.

I'm sure there are a few episodes of Rab C Nesbitt on YouTube if you want to hear a really strong Glaswegian accent. He's an exaggeration, but not much of one...

• #3,628
Ibix said:
if you want to hear a really strong Glaswegian accent
Higgins interviews from time to time are enough, thanks. Sometimes I think, some words are closer to German than to English, esp. the pronunciation of vowels. I remember a radio interview with Amy Macdonald ... I still don't understand how the interviewer managed to understand her.

• #3,629
fresh_42 said:
Sometimes I think, some words are closer to German than to English, esp. the pronunciation of vowels.
Wouldn't surprise me. Before William the Conqueror invaded from the south east, the north of Britain was Viking and the south was Saxon. Both retreated north, and while the southern accents became influenced by the French spoken at court, the northern accents less so.

Or at least so I was told. I can't claim to be any kind of expert.

• #3,630
There's a highway to hell,
but only a stairway to heaven.

Guess, expectations are clear.

Likes AlexCaledin, Stavros Kiri and EnumaElish
  • #3,631
fresh_42 said:

I guess that also explains why heaven has a gate and hell has a pit.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #3,632
fresh_42 said:

Driving is evil? I guess God's gone green.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #3,633
What's so very special and unique about every Thursday, for all people around the world, no matter what ?
It's exactly when a week has passed since last Thursday and it's one day before Friday ...

• #3,634
Today I drove past a beauty salon named "Curl Up & Dye".

Likes Drakkith, OCR, EnumaElish and 2 others
  • #3,635
jtbell said:
Today I drove past a beauty salon named "Curl Up & Dye".

hahahaha ... ohhh dear :smile:

Likes OCR, EnumaElish and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,636
upload_2017-5-12_17-6-18.png

Likes jtbell, nuuskur, fresh_42 and 4 others
  • #3,637
It's certainly a drug-free shelfspace.

Likes Stavros Kiri, davenn and mfb
  • #3,638
What makes the Golden Gate Bridge really a modern wonder of the world?
It has been built in budget and in time!

Likes EnumaElish
  • #3,639
18194848_1477413788945716_8276757688563534957_n.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri
  • #3,640
You could sell a reliable cure for cancer for the same money people pay for a lifetime supply of cancer drugs today. And you would gain an instant monopoly.

Likes EnumaElish