Acceleration due to gravity question?

In summary, acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the center of the Earth, due to the force of gravity. It is calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. While it can vary slightly at different locations on Earth, the standard value of 9.8 m/s^2 is commonly used for calculations. Additionally, acceleration due to gravity affects all objects equally regardless of their mass. On other planets, the acceleration due to gravity differs based on their mass and radius. For example, on Mars it is approximately 3.7 m/s^
jbgibson
If I know the acceleration of gravity (9.81m/s^2), and I'm given an initial velocity in the positive x direction, how would I go about figuring how far will an object fall in a given time?

I think this a 2-dimension projectile, but I don't see how to solve. If y=yo+vot-1/2gt^2, then y=-1/2gt^2. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity in the x direction won't affect the velocity in the y direction. All you need is that first equation.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to note that the equations for projectile motion are derived from the laws of motion and apply to objects moving in two dimensions due to gravity. In this case, we are considering the vertical motion of an object, which is affected by the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the initial velocity in the positive x direction (vo).

To solve for the distance an object will fall in a given time, we can use the equation y = yo + vot - 1/2gt^2, as you have correctly identified. This equation represents the displacement (y) of the object from its initial position (yo) at a given time (t), taking into account the initial velocity (vo) and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

To find the distance the object will fall, we can rearrange the equation to solve for y as follows: y = yo + vot - 1/2gt^2. We can then substitute the known values for yo, vo, and g, and the given time (t) to calculate the displacement (y).

It is also important to keep in mind that this equation assumes that the object is falling in a vacuum, without any air resistance. In reality, air resistance will affect the motion of the object and may result in a slightly different distance fallen.

I hope this explanation helps you solve the problem. Remember to always carefully define and consider all the variables involved in a problem, and use appropriate equations to solve it accurately.

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the center of the Earth, due to the force of gravity. It is commonly denoted as "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 m/s^2 near the Earth's surface.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity change at different locations on Earth?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly at different locations on Earth due to factors such as altitude and topography. However, these variations are very small and the standard value of 9.8 m/s^2 is still commonly used for calculations.

4. Does acceleration due to gravity affect all objects equally?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity affects all objects equally regardless of their mass. This means that both a feather and a bowling ball will fall towards the Earth at the same rate, neglecting air resistance.

5. How does acceleration due to gravity differ on other planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on other planets is different depending on their mass and radius. For example, on Mars the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is 24.8 m/s^2. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the planet and inversely proportional to the square of its radius.