Finding kernel of matrix transformation

In summary, the kernel of the matrix transformation f(x) = Ax, where A = [1 -1 0; 0 1 -2], is represented by the system of equations X1 - X2 = 0 and X2 - 2X3 = 0. By reducing this system to its reduced row echelon form, we can solve for X1 and X2 in terms of the parameter X3.
DWill

Homework Statement

Find the kernel of the matrix transformation given by f(x) = Ax, where

A =
1 -1 0
0 1 -2

(it's a matrix)

Homework Equations

Kernel is the set x in R^n for f(x) = Ax = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem like this:

[
X1
X2 * A = 0
X3
]

Just multiplying the matrices I get:

X1 - X2 = 0
X2 - 2X3 = 0

I think I'm missing something really simple but I'm stuck on what to do now in solving the system of equations for X1, X2, X3. Any hints, suggestions, or corrections? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have that system of homogenous linear equations. Now represent in a form of a matrix and reduce it to its reduced row echelon form. Then you can read off the values of x1,x2,x3. Denote variables by parameters if you have to.

You have two equations and three unknowns, so you are going to have at least one free parameter, you may as well pick X3=t for your parameter and solve for X1 and X2 in terms of t.

1. What is the kernel of a matrix transformation?

The kernel of a matrix transformation is the set of all vectors in the input space that get transformed to the zero vector in the output space. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the origin by the matrix transformation.

2. How is the kernel of a matrix transformation related to its null space?

The kernel of a matrix transformation is the same as its null space. Both terms refer to the set of all vectors that get mapped to the zero vector in the output space.

3. How do you find the kernel of a matrix transformation?

To find the kernel of a matrix transformation, you can set up the associated homogeneous system of equations and solve for the solutions. The solutions will form the basis for the kernel.

4. What is the significance of the kernel in linear algebra?

The kernel is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to understand the structure of the matrix transformation. It tells us which vectors are not affected by the transformation and can help us determine the rank and nullity of the transformation.

5. Can the kernel of a matrix transformation be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the kernel of a matrix transformation to be empty. This would occur if the only vector that gets mapped to the zero vector is the zero vector itself. In this case, the transformation would be one-to-one and the nullity would be zero.