Adv. Linear Algebra: Review Topics Chapter 1

In summary: What are independent/free variables? How can we tell there are free variables by looking at the row-reduced echelon form?I would give an example:1 0 0 00 1 0 00 0 0 0x1=x2=independent, x3=x4=free=linear combination of alpha1 (0 1 0 0) & alpha2 (0 0 0 0)In summary, the solution set does not change under elementary row operations, and independent and free variables can be determined by looking at the row-reduced echelon form. To rewrite a linear system in vector form, use the A-vector and b-vector, and apply elementary row reductions
rocomath
Here is the link to my review topics for exam 1.

http://math.uh.edu/~bgb/Courses/Math4377/Math4377-Ex1-Topics.pdf

Does the solution set to a linear system change under elementary row operations?

The solution set does not change under elementary row operations.

What are independent/free variables? How can we tell there are free variables by looking at the row-reduced echelon form?

I would give an example:

1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0

x1=x2=independent, x3=x4=free=linear combination of alpha1 (0 1 0 0) & alpha2 (0 0 0 0)

How can we rewrite a linear system Ax = b in vector form?

Ax=b

A=

A11 ... A1n
Am1 ... Amn

x=

x1
xn

b=

b1
bm

Can we solve the system if b can be written as a linear combination of the column vectors of A?

Yes, I would just put it in augmented form and apply elementary row reductions. I would find that some columns have no pivot variables, thus the variable in that column is free, which is the consequence of being a linear combination of other columns.

How do the solutions to an inhomogeneous system relate to the solutions of the corresponding homogeneous one?

Homogeneous systems are equal to zero a1x1+...anxn=0, thus it is linear independent in which the a1=...=an=0 or it contains only the trivial solution, all xn=0.

Inhomogeneous systems are not equal to zero, thus it's solutions will not all be zero.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
rocomath said:
The solution set does not change under elementary row operations.
Why?

What are independent/free variables? How can we tell there are free variables by looking at the row-reduced echelon form?

I would give an example:

1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0

x1=x2=independent, x3=x4=free=linear combination of alpha1 (0 1 0 0) & alpha2 (0 0 0 0)
Hmm... that's not a good example.

Ax=b

A=

A11 ... A1n
Am1 ... Amn

x=

x1
xn

b=

b1
bm
Sorry, I don't understand this.

Can we solve the system if b can be written as a linear combination of the column vectors of A?

Yes, I would just put it in augmented form and apply elementary row reductions. I would find that some columns have no pivot variables, thus the variable in that column is free, which is the consequence of being a linear combination of other columns.
It is not necessarily true that some of the variables will be free.

How do the solutions to an inhomogeneous system relate to the solutions of the corresponding homogeneous one?

Homogeneous systems are equal to zero a1x1+...anxn=0, thus it is linear independent in which the a1=...=an=0 or it contains only the trivial solution, all xn=0.

Inhomogeneous systems are not equal to zero, thus it's solutions will not all be zero.
That doesn't explain how they are related.

rocomath said:

Ax=b

A=

A11 ... A1n
Am1 ... Amn

x=

x1
xn

b=

b1
bm
That looks ok, if they would accept matrices as part of the answer. Otherwise you're better off writing the matrix A as a linear combination of all its column vectors with the entries of column vector X as coefficients.

rocomath said:

THANKS!

THis not only doesn't explain the relationship between the solutions of an inhomogeneous system of equations to those of corresponding homogeneous, but it is even not completely true. Because you said that a1=...=an=0 but this is true only when the system has a unique solution, but there are cases where the system has infinitely many solutions, so not all of a1, a2,...,an need to be zero., and thus the vector columns of the corresponding coefficient matrix need not necessarily be independent, like i just pointed out.

The relationship between the solutions of an inhomogeneous system of equations to thos of a homogeneous is that each of them differs by a constant term [tex] b_i[/tex] i=1,2,...,m

That is if the sols of the hom. syst. of eq, are say, [tex] x_i=kx_j[/tex] then those of the inhomog. roughly speaking will be,

[tex] x_i=kx_j+b_i; : b_i=constant[/tex]

e(ho0n3 said:
Why?

Because there is a theorem that states exactly this, and that we all, i assume, have proved it!

What is advanced linear algebra?

Advanced linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations in a more abstract and advanced way. It builds upon the fundamentals of linear algebra and applies them to more complex and abstract mathematical concepts.

What topics does Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra cover?

Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra typically covers topics such as vector spaces, subspaces, linear independence, and basis. It may also include discussions on linear transformations, rank and nullity, and matrix operations.

Why is it important to review topics in Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra?

Reviewing topics in Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra is important because it lays the foundation for understanding more complex concepts in later chapters. It also helps to solidify the fundamental concepts and techniques that are crucial for solving advanced problems in linear algebra.

How can I effectively review topics in Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra?

To effectively review topics in Chapter 1 of advanced linear algebra, it is important to first have a strong understanding of the basics of linear algebra. Then, one can use various resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems to review and reinforce the concepts covered in Chapter 1.

What are some real-life applications of advanced linear algebra?

Advanced linear algebra has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. It is used to solve complex systems of equations, analyze data and patterns, and develop algorithms for various applications. It is also used in image and signal processing, data compression, and machine learning.