Optical (laser/maser) cooling of fusion products.

In summary: Why can't their energy be collected by, for example, a microwave beam?Because neutrons do not respond to electromagnetic radiation at such low energies.
obelenkiy
Fusion raction produces high energy neutrons which cause activation of the walls of the reactor. Why can't their energy be collected by, for example, a microwave beam?

Engineering news on Phys.org
obelenkiy said:
Fusion raction produces high energy neutrons which cause activation of the walls of the reactor. Why can't their energy be collected by, for example, a microwave beam?
Because neutrons do not respond to electromagnetic radiation at such low energies.

Astronuc said:
Because neutrons do not respond to electromagnetic radiation at such low energies.
Astronuc, just curious: neutrons can respond to EM radiation at high enough energy because of ... the neutron's spin? What else is there?

There is the neutron's magnetic moment, as well as the charges of the individual quarks. Not sure which Astronuc had in mind though.

Redbelly98 said:
There is the neutron's magnetic moment, .
Which results from its spin?

Redbelly98 said:
There is the neutron's magnetic moment, ...

mheslep said:
Which results from its spin?

As I understand it, it results from the spin and the fact that there is charge within the neutron's structure. If somebody else can confirm my thinking here, it would be appreciated.

mheslep said:
Astronuc, just curious: neutrons can respond to EM radiation at high enough energy because of ... the neutron's spin? What else is there?
It's the internal structure (quarks), magnetic moment and spin - pretty much as expressed by Redbelly.

I was prepared to say that neutrons don't interact with photons, but I've seen some articles on neutron-photon interactions. However, I don't believe there is much in the literature on photon interaction with free-neutrons, or neutrons as condensed matter. I caught one article on optically cooling neutrons, but I can't seem to locate the article.

I was also pondering electro-weak interactions.

I expect that photons have to be of very high energy - high (100's) MeV range - to have an appreciable effect on a neutron. The gamma photons we get from typical radio-nuclides or nuclear reactions have energies on the order of high keV up to <10 MeV.

There was a discussion elsewhere in the forums about photons scattering of protons, as opposed to electrons or positrons, and I expect the cross-section for photon-neutron scattering to less than that of protons.

Astronuc said:
I expect that photons have to be of very high energy - high (100's) MeV range - to have an appreciable effect on a neutron. The gamma photons we get from typical radio-nuclides or nuclear reactions have energies on the order of high keV up to <10 MeV.

Maybe, it's possible to boost the energy of photons by heating them with other gamma beams.
Are there frequency converters for such wavelengths?

obelenkiy said:
Maybe, it's possible to boost the energy of photons by heating them with other gamma beams.

And now your gammas are activating the walls.

obelenkiy said:
Are there frequency converters for such wavelengths?
Photon interaction can occur in nonlinear materials, but those methods and other frequency conversion methods are quite inefficient. You will use up much more energy in the conversion process than you would ever get from the neutrons that are to be captured, so it would be a pointless way of harnessing the neutron's energy.

Astronuc said:
There was a discussion elsewhere in the forums about photons scattering of protons, as opposed to electrons or positrons, and I expect the cross-section for photon-neutron scattering to less than that of protons.

Substitute photons with protons or hydrogen atoms held in the shell around the reaction chamber?

introduction first me for ask fusion raction

This is my first post and i am dedicating this to the Introduction Forum as per the forum rules. Before introducing myself, i would just like to thanks the Administrator of this forum for giving me opportunity to join this community.

Now, let me take the opportunity to introduce myself.

Hi, I am Andri Vista Medina from Indonesia & I'm new to this site. I am a new comer & have just put forward my first step in the vast & fast world of Internet & Web.
I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members, hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge.

Fusion raction produces high energy neutrons which cause activation of the walls of the reactor.

1. What is optical (laser/maser) cooling of fusion products?

Optical cooling is a technique used to reduce the thermal energy of particles such as atoms, ions, or molecules using laser or maser radiation. In the case of fusion products, this technique is used to cool down the high-energy particles produced during a fusion reaction.

2. How does optical cooling work?

Optical cooling works by using the momentum of photons from a laser or maser to slow down the movement of particles. When photons interact with a particle, they transfer some of their momentum to the particle, causing it to slow down. This process is repeated multiple times until the particle reaches a lower energy state.

3. What are the benefits of using optical cooling for fusion products?

Optical cooling allows for the precise control of particle velocity and energy, which is crucial for studying fusion reactions. It also reduces the spread of particle energies, making it easier to confine and manipulate the particles for further experiments.

4. What are the challenges of implementing optical cooling for fusion products?

One of the main challenges is finding the right frequency of light to effectively cool down the particles. This requires a thorough understanding of the energy levels of the particles and the properties of the laser or maser used. Another challenge is the potential for heating due to the absorption of photons by the particles, which can counteract the cooling process.

5. How is optical cooling of fusion products being used in current research?

Optical cooling is being used in several fusion research facilities around the world, including the National Ignition Facility in the United States and the Wendelstein 7-X stellarator in Germany. It is being used to study the behavior of fusion products and their interactions with the surrounding plasma, with the ultimate goal of achieving sustainable fusion energy production.