Newton's Laws, Force and Kinematics

In summary: So the final answer is:v_f^2=v_0^2+2ad+FdIn summary, a particle is traveling in a straight line at a constant speed of 24.5 m/s when a constant force of 14.3 N acts on it, bringing it to a stop in a distance of 52.9 m. The time it takes for the particle to come to a stop is 4.318 seconds, and its mass is 2.52 kg.
skydiver

Homework Statement

A particle is traveling in a straight line at a constant speed of 24.5 m/s. Suddenly, a constant force of 14.3 N acts on it, bringing it to a stop in a distance of 52.9 m.

a. Determine the time it takes for the particle to come to a stop.

b. What is its mass?

Homework Equations

1. vx2 = v0x2 +2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

2. [tex]\Delta[/tex]x = v0t + 0.5at2

3. F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve part a. I use equation 1 to find a which is 5.673 m/s^2
I use that value of a in equation 2 to find t which is 4.318 s
This is all correct.

I am having trouble with part b - to find mass.
The only equation I have to find mass is f=ma
F is 14.3N given, a as calculated is 4.318 which gives m as 3.311 kgs which is incorrect.
The correct answer is 2.52 kg

So I thought that for F=ma, F must be the resultant force of some sort.
So I subtracted 24.5-14.3 (which I am sure is not a correct step to do) gives me 10.2

And that divided by a (4.318) gives me m as 2.362 which is close but not correct.

Any other thoughts? Thanks so muchEDIT: Aarggghh.. stupid me
I am diving by t (4.318) instead of the a I found (5.673).
Can't believe I spent so much time on this stupid stupid mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi skydiver! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm glad you've sorted it out! :biggrin:

Just for the record, there's another way of finding the mass …

just calculate the work done and then use the work-energy theorem … work done = change in energy. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi skydiver! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm glad you've sorted it out! :biggrin:

Just for the record, there's another way of finding the mass …

just calculate the work done and then use the work-energy theorem … work done = change in energy. :wink:

The really beautiful thing is, that the first equation he posted:
[tex]v_f^2=v_0^2+2ad[/tex] is completely equivalent.
Multiplying by a factor of [tex]\tfrac{1}{2} m[/tex] provides:

[tex]\tfrac{1}{2} mv_f^2=\tfrac{1}{2} mv_0^2+Fd[/tex]

(The dot operator is included in the way the equation is defined, since the [tex]a[/tex] term refers to the acceleration in the direction of the distance traveled.)

1. What are Newton's Three Laws of Motion?

Newton's Three Laws of Motion are physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object, whereas weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).

3. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or both. A net force acting on an object will cause it to accelerate in the direction of the force. If the force is balanced, the object will continue at a constant velocity. If the force is unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the greater force.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for a given force.

5. How is motion described in terms of kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it. It describes the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. Position is the location of an object at a specific time, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. These quantities can be used to analyze an object's motion and predict its future movements.