What's in an electronics hobbyist's toolbox?

• Thread starter MATLABdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary: A voltmeter, for measuring voltages outside the range of...A few (higher-power) soldering irons.A few pairs of precision diagonal cutters.A small hammer.A small screwdriver.Wire strippers.A small screwdriver with a Phillips head.A small screwdriver with a flat head.A small hacksaw.A small filesaw.A small chisel.A small wire brush.A small wire saw.A small razor blade.An awl.A small needle-nose pliers.A small pair of wire cutters.An adjustable-temperature soldering station.A pair of fine-point
dlgoff said:
For those kind of problems, if I lived near berkeman, I'd just call him.
I wonder that only a few people have an oscilloscope in their "toolbox". This is one of the most important tools in electronics. For little money (starting at about 100 USD) there are meanwhile USB oscilloscopes available which also include digital channels, function generator or even protocol analysis functions. This should be sufficient for debugging even most mixed-signal designs. A product overview of low end USB oscilloscopes was published recently here: http://oscopes.info/market/2256-usb-oscilloscopes-product-overview-low-end

Engineering news on Phys.org
the times thay are a-changin'...

It has become necessary to have a set of so called "Security Bits" (aka tamper-proof) to disassemble things nowadays.

My stupid microwave was put together with Torx-head screws having a little bump in center that keeps you from inserting an everyday Torx.
Neighbor's drill press switch broke. I went to pillage the switch out of a junk coffeemaker and found IT assembled with similarly "bumped" slotted screws.
Who ever heard of a three-wing Phillips screw head? Wall warts have them now...
Why? It's not as if Handymen are into espionage.

Life is frustrating enough without these intentional and nefarious implements of torture.
image_21405.jpg

See the Torx and Allens with hole for the security bump?
Set is ten bucks at chinese import junk-tool store..
I keep 'em in the grandfather clock so i know where they are.

Likes berkeman
Probably my age , magnifier goes without saying;but an analog multirange meter with a large dial an analog scope a range of chip resistors and ceramic capacitors, finally a
the real bargins are cheap 4GHz frequency (counter) with signal level indication A PC with LTspice loaded.

A set of hemostats for heat sinking and maybe a fluke 87 for reading rms voltage. A digital multi meter that tests transistors and capacitors is handy.

Start with a nice computer with an internet connection. Order what you need for your project. Digikey has most everything, but at a price. Shop around if your budget is limited.

You can drop thousands of dollars on stuff you'll never use.

You might consider velcro tape to hold subassemblies in place. Use surface mount parts. These are small enough you will need some magnifying system (a nice glass, or loop, or bright lights) and some skill with a nice soldering iron (Weller). You can cut copper boards with a dremmel including removing copper (instead of photoresist). For more complex work, just draw your board on a CAD and order it online. They are cheap ($30 or so for the first 4 or so; cheaper the more you order).

There's a site called Find Chips which will sometimes allow you to identify ICs. Don't discount software and time spent on the computer. Plan on spending most of your time thinking and planning. Engineering paper and a good mechanical pencil (I like a 0.5 mm with 2B lead to make it dark).

Some minimum things you will need are needlenose, cutters, a scribe (pick), wire, breadboard, multimeter, two power supplies, a signal generator, an O-scope, and some heatshrink tubing, a computer cord/powerstrip with lots of plugs.

There are multimeters and O-scopes that work in computers, but good equipment is worth the price if you are rich or going to be using it a lot.

I can't imagine not having a vector network analyzer, but I did lots of antenna work.

c289_pocket_ref_4th_ed.jpg

Likes berkeman
Likes meBigGuy and berkeman
Wow --- that's one heck of a signal generation/analysis system for $279. The analog parts kit is an additional $65. Seems to have pretty good reviews.

Lots of good stuff posted, and lots I can only drool about having
OK, so I don't have everything I'd like and have on this list...
Multimeters? 1 quality analog with a big dial, and an LRC capable digital one (too many times it's too hard to read numbers on ceramic caps and inducers)

Oscilloscope (not optional, even if it's not fancy!). the more features the merrier, but there's lots you can do with a 1960's 2 channel unit if you're not doing HF stuff

I also find having an Arduino in the toolbox very handy.. they're so cheap now if you need any sort of digital sequencing, analog monitoring, etc they're indispenable.. Add a few prototyping shields, an LCD display, and you're set

A dremel with a good set of carbide bits, drills, wire wheels

One thing I haven't seen posted as an essential tool is a hammer! Percussive maintenance is often neglected!

Without knowing what someone is working on it is a bit hard to say too much. I work on tube amps so I need things that will work with high voltage.

Here is a list of what I consider mistakes and what I am really glad I bought.

Mistakes:
Too many low end DMM's
Junk tools from Harbor Freight...You can buy a 12 pound hammer from them that works really well for relieving stress...lol
Trying to get by with a cheaper solder rework station
I have a high quality tube tester...it was a waist of money...better to spend money on good tubes from a known source

The right stuff:
Xcelite tools...I spent around $400 or more on this kind of stuff
Best quality DeWalt drills...$235 for a set of two
Fluke 179 DMM..This should have been my first DMM, fast and easy to use...around $300
Simpson 260 analog multimeter...This you should not buy until you have a need for it...Don't remember cost, had one for fourty years
All the lights you can afford and LED lighting if you can afford it...something around $200 should get you going
A really comfortable chair if you are spending much time working
A really wonderful wife who will make coffee for you
A large computer screen so you can read the crap schematics you will wind up working with...add two inches per 10 years past 40...lol
Some of the made in China stuff actually works well, such as a varac, 60VDC power supply
I am happy with the Owan 100meg scope I got new for around $400 also a Owan function generator for around $300
A good solid work bench that you should build yourself to fit what you need...perhaps around $200...a chop saw for around $150 and a cordless drill will let you build most anything from wood without needing very much skill in woodworking
Basic electronics parts...you will never have enough...lol...If you need one opamp order at least six, that way you will build up some stock. 1% resistors assortments from China are a good deal and I have had no issues with them. I buy the largest lots they sell.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes berkeman
OH, and I forgot to mention the downside of buying another new, really cool-looking gadget in a desperate search for a problem to solve.

jedishrfu said:
And the downside is the going into debt?

Well...yes debt could be an issue but the wasted time in the "desperate search" is more to the point...lol

I have to admit I have a few useless gadgets...lol

Likes jedishrfu
Why waste space in the toolbox. Keep it on the bench where you can use it. :kiss:

28955173836_629a415a74_b_d.jpg

Likes davenn and Rx7man
That's my bench! :biggrin:

What's in the grey plastic box in the middle of the top shelf? A current probe? A diff probe?

And the wood box to the right of it -- is it a VNA calibration kit? :smile:

berkeman said:
What's in the grey plastic box in the middle of the top shelf? A current probe? A diff probe?

And the wood box to the right of it -- is it a VNA calibration kit? :smile:

Grey box is a logic monitor (behind it, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00011UYJU/?tag=pfamazon01-20) and the wood box is in the wrong place. That's a mil-spec pin extractor set for ITT cannon connectors.

I just cleaned it so at least 25% of the work-space is being wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody ever mentions latex/nitrile gloves for keeping finger grease off of copper wires (apologies in advance for the post I overlooked that someone will inevitably quote :oops:). Also, coil jigs and lathes. High power stuff with fun-yet-inefficient sparks, arcs and "magnety" stuff is what drew me to physics, and ultimately electronics, in the first place. It's much better for a hobbyist to actually learn how to assemble an inductor from raw materials anyway. I think recent developments such as raspberry pi are removing the self-rewarding aspect of learning how components work at a fundamental level. A hobbyist should suffer for their art. :mad:

Alex163 said:
I think recent developments such as raspberry pi are removing the self-rewarding aspect of learning how components work at a fundamental level. A hobbyist should suffer for their art. :mad:

I don't see it that way. Those with the natural talent for building don't suffer. The joys of burning components while learning is such sweet nirvana.

Likes davenn and Alex163
nsaspook said:
I don't see it that way. Those with the natural talent for building don't suffer. The joys of burning components while learning is such sweet nirvana.

Agreed, smoldering resistor smell makes me nostalgic.:smile:
But if you just jump straight into programming an arduino without even needing to know how to calculate inductive reactance, then I think it's sort of "cheating" your way into electronic engineering. I hope I'm not being elitist with with this sentiment. It just feels like a shame to me that enthusiastic and capable kids/teens risk not really fully realising their potential, by developing shortcut-taking habits in their designs.

Alex163 said:
Agreed, smoldering resistor smell makes me nostalgic.:smile:
But if you just jump straight into programming an arduino without even needing to know how to calculate inductive reactance, then I think it's sort of "cheating" your way into electronic engineering. I hope I'm not being elitist with with this sentiment. It just feels like a shame to me that enthusiastic and capable kids/teens risk not really fully realising their potential, by developing shortcut-taking habits in their designs.

It's a way for more to get in the hobby. The percentage that will go on to actually learn engineering principles and detailed electronics won't be lower and might even increase because of the added bodies

nsaspook said:
It's a way for more to get in the hobby. The percentage that will go on to actually learn engineering principles and detailed electronics won't be lower and might even increase because of the added bodies

That's a very good point. :smile:
I don't want to derail this thread from the OP's intention, so I won't comment any more on this. Although personally, I'm worried that this focus on pre-fabricated modular kits is in very real danger of intruding into curricular teaching.
To me, it's like only teaching chemists about organic compounds, or teaching physics students about QM before they do CM.
A hell of a lot of important info is lost when jumping between levels of abstraction just to simplify things. :frown:

Premade kits (r pi, Arduino, etc) have their place, but I don't really see them as a replacement for any of the basics.. those are all still needed.. I see the kits as being a tool to get people interested enough to learn the basics..
Speaking for myself, I'm the kind of guy that finds a problem, and works for a solution, as much on my own as possible.. So I have an Arduino and I want to read some analog value and control some high power device.. I'm going to need to use the basics to do that, and that's the motivation to learn it

Having gone to a few Unis and looked at and helped with a few labs - the proliferation of simulation is more of a problem, so many students ( and their professors) having no idea about the many real world " gotchas". They have never broken anything, when the simulation is wrong, you do not melt down your lab. This leads to a lot of "A" students coming out and not wanting to touch a bench, for fear of failure.

Alex163 said:
Nobody ever mentions latex/nitrile gloves for keeping finger grease off of copper wires (apologies in advance for the post I overlooked that someone will inevitably quote :oops:).

surely you jest ?
If I even worried about something like that it would be so far down the list ... maybe ~ 5000 :wink:
seriously it isn't an issue :smile:

one of the most useful bits of test gear in my kit is this semiconductor tester

dca55.jpg

Dave

Yes semiconductor tester is a useful test gear.

davenn said:
one of the most useful bits of test gear in my kit is this semiconductor tester

dca55.jpg

Dave
Does it have a "Whatsit" function? where you can hook the leads up to anything (mosfet, BJT, VR, etc) and it'll tell you what it is? Looks like a handy unit anyhow!

Rx7man said:
Does it have a "Whatsit" function? where you can hook the leads up to anything (mosfet, BJT, VR, etc)

what is a VR ?

you can see it identifying function in the photo ... it's telling you it's a PNP Darlington. it will also give hfe (gain) and several other functions :smile:

the transistor, fet or diode leads don't need to be hooked up in any specific order. it will identify e, b, c etcDave

Pretty nifty rig! My bad, VR Voltage regulator.. since they often come in the TO220 package

Rx7man said:
Pretty nifty rig! My bad, VR Voltage regulator.. since they often come in the TO220 package
no, not voltage regulators and other IC's
they are complex devices with multiple semiconductors and other parts

jedishrfu said:
One more cool tool for the toolbox with long lasting batteries:

http://sliderulemuseum.com/Archive/XXX_Concise_300.jpg

and still manufactured by Concise:

http://www.concise.co.jp/en/products/detail.php?product_id=8

and someone even wrote a manual for it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwiv2ar6tsjOAhUOx2MKHeTmA-wQFgg4MAQ&url=https://hobbyutil.googlecode.com/files/Concise300_7Sep2012.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGtrbC_UZQ1beZk-t6RnJZS0gn8_A&sig2=9HYp3w5QY-hmFEvLYhTDaQ&bvm=bv.129759880,d.eWE
I have a really nice linear slide rule.. about all I can do with it is multiply/divide though.. it's got about 20 darned scales on it for everything from trig, logs, roots, and a bunch of stuff I'm not sure what it is

Thanks, though its been sitting in it's case for 20 years, I suspect it'll sit there for 20 more years.

Good link, I've bookmarked it so I can come back to it in 2050 :P... I'd like to learn it just for curiosities sake

Back