Is There a Power Series That Converges at One Point and Diverges at Another?

In summary, the question is asking if there is a power series that converges at z=2+3i and diverges at z=3-i. The key to solving this problem is understanding the theorem on the convergence of power series based on a radius of convergence. The power series in question is a sum of z^i and it is important to consider the concept of radius of convergence when determining its convergence or divergence.
mariab89

Homework Statement

does there exist a power series that converges at z= 2+31 and diverges at z=3-i

Im really stuck on this one! any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean 2+3i and 3-i? And do you mean a power series centered at z=0? There is a theorem about convergence of power series based on a radius of convergence. Can you find it?

Yes, sorry my question is to determine whether there exists a power series that converges at z = 2 + 3i and diverges at z = 3 - i.

Ok, so is the power series just a sum of z^i (as opposed to (z-c)^i)? And what do you know about 'radius of convergence'?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It includes the study of complex-valued functions, integration and differentiation of complex functions, and the properties and behavior of these functions.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They are used to extend the number system and allow for the representation of numbers that cannot be expressed as real numbers, such as the square root of a negative number.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to study fluid flow, electrical circuits, signal processing, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. What is the importance of the Cauchy-Riemann equations in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be complex differentiable. This means that they are essential for determining if a function is analytic, and therefore have a crucial role in the study of complex functions.

5. Are there any real-world problems that can be solved using complex analysis?

Yes, complex analysis is used to solve many real-world problems, such as predicting weather patterns, designing electric circuits, and analyzing fluid dynamics. It is also used in financial modeling and data analysis in economics and business.