In need of academic guidance mathwise

In summary, the individual is questioning if their pace of learning math is slow or appropriate given their situation. They have taken algebra 1 and 2 in a 2-year college but dropped both classes due to struggles understanding the material. They have spent 2 semesters without making much progress in terms of grades, but have continued to attend lectures and have tried to master the material on their own. The individual has a limited background in math due to being homeschooled and living on a farm, and is unsure if this is causing their difficulties. They are seeking advice on how to improve their studying and understanding in algebra 2.
land_of_ice
Do you think I'm at a slow pace for learning my math or does it sound right given the situation?
I go to a 2 year college, I took algebra 1, and dropped the class because I didn't want to get a C, and some of it I wasn't understanding at the time, but I understand all of it now, so I skipped it and went to algebra 2, now in algebra 2 I know how to do any and all problems from algebra 1, but I'm having trouble with algebra 2, barely getting a C and dropped that class as well. So I've spent 2 semesters and gotten no where grade wise, but I've come close to mastering both classes because after I dropped I finished the book and still go to class for the lecture.
The situation is that, before I started 2 year college, I never had any math, I was home schooled and lived on a farm, and never was required to really learn any math whatsoever to somehow earn a GED on home school. I'm not sure if It's my back ground in mathematics or if it's something else

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that you lack a strong mathematical foundation it seems only natural that you might have difficulties now, so don't get discouraged! How much time did you allocate to your studies each week? What does your studying comprise of? What in algebra 2 is giving you difficulty? More information would help others help others in providing useful information.

You seem to be motivated, with that you will go a long way.

I would first like to commend you for your determination and hard work in trying to master algebra. It takes a lot of effort to continue learning a subject even after dropping the class. It is also impressive that you have been able to understand and master the material from algebra 1 even though you did not complete the class.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you may have some gaps in your mathematical foundation due to your background in home schooling. It is possible that this may be causing some difficulties in understanding and applying the concepts in algebra 2. It is also important to note that each individual learns at their own pace, and it is not uncommon for some to take longer to grasp certain concepts.

In order to improve your understanding and performance in algebra 2, I would recommend seeking academic guidance from your professor or a tutor. They can help identify any specific areas that may be causing difficulties and provide additional resources and support to help you master the material. It may also be helpful to review and reinforce the concepts from algebra 1, as they serve as the foundation for algebra 2.

Additionally, I would encourage you to continue practicing and seeking help whenever needed. With persistence and determination, I am confident that you will be able to improve your grades and understanding in algebra 2. Keep up the hard work and don't be discouraged by the challenges you may face along the way. Remember, learning takes time and effort, but the end result is worth it.

1. What is "academic guidance" in terms of math?

Academic guidance in terms of math typically refers to support and assistance provided to students who are struggling with understanding and applying mathematical concepts and principles.

2. Who can benefit from academic guidance in math?

Anyone who is struggling with understanding or applying mathematical concepts and principles can benefit from academic guidance in math. This includes students of all ages, from elementary school to college.

3. What types of services are typically included in academic guidance for math?

Services that are typically included in academic guidance for math may include one-on-one tutoring, small group instruction, online resources and tools, practice problems and worksheets, and test preparation.

4. How can academic guidance in math help me improve my grades?

Academic guidance in math can help improve your grades by providing personalized support and instruction tailored to your specific needs and learning style. Working with a tutor or utilizing practice problems and resources can also help you better understand and apply mathematical concepts, leading to improved performance on tests and assignments.

5. Is academic guidance in math only for students who are struggling?

No, academic guidance in math is not only for students who are struggling. It can also be helpful for students who want to improve their understanding and skills in math, or for those who are looking for additional challenges and enrichment opportunities.