Finding gain from a bode plot

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady state response for a transfer function and determining the values for k, damping ratio, and natural frequency. The natural frequency is found to be 10, the damping ratio is 0.105, and the gain is 10. The conversation also mentions using the bode plot to find the cutoff frequencies and bandwidth. The provided transfer function and bode plot do not match exactly, with the gain being off by -20 dB. The conversation ends with recommendations for finding the third relation between the parameters.
snoweangel27

Homework Statement

Transfer function:
G(s) =[tex]\frac{k}{s^{2}+2\varsigma\omega_{n}s+\omega_{n}^{2}}[/tex]

a) if u(t) = cos(2t), find the steady state response
b) determine the values for k, damping ratio ([tex]\varsigma[/tex]), and the natural frequency.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the steady state response by finding G(wj) where w = 2 from the input function. However, I can't seem to find the correct values for k, damping ratio, and the natural frequency.

first I found the cut off magnitudes from the bode plot by multiplying the largest magnitude (40) by (1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], to obtain the magnitude of the cut off frequencies to be approx. 28.28db. and found the cut off frequencies to be 8 and 10.1 rad/sec, which allows the Bandwidth to be determined by subtracting the two cut off frequencies.

I believe the natural frequency should be 10, since it is also the center frequency, and I found the damping ration to be 0.105 by dividing the bandwidth by 2 times the natural frequency. And I think the gain should be 10.

my transfer function
G(s) =[tex]\frac{10}{s^{2}+2.1s+100}[/tex]

when I find the bode plot of this function it looks similar to the provided plot, but the magnitude is off.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 917
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while I've done these, hopefully I'm not terribly wrong here as it's not quite my area of specialty. At least I got the image plotted in Matlab and it is indeed exactly the same.

Anyway, setting s = 0, you immediately see that the low pass gain ought to be k/w_n^2. Yours is 1/10, which, if my math is right, gives -20 dB gain rather than 20 dB as shown in the figure.

Phase -90 is quite special. Use that to get a second relation between the parameters. Finally I'd proceed to check what value and where |G| gets as its maximum to find the third and last relation between the parameters. You ought to get nice integers as answers (well, the damping parameter is a reciprocal of one).

I am not sure where I went wrong.

It looks like you have made a good attempt at finding the gain from the bode plot and determining the values for k, damping ratio, and the natural frequency. However, there may be some errors in your calculations that are causing the discrepancy in your results. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and values.

One potential error could be in your determination of the cut off frequencies. It is possible that the values you have calculated are slightly off, which could affect your results for the natural frequency and damping ratio. Additionally, it is important to make sure you are using the correct units for the cut off frequencies, as this could also affect your calculations.

If you are still having trouble finding the correct values, it may be helpful to consult with a classmate or the instructor for further clarification. It is also a good idea to check your work against any provided solutions or ask for feedback from the instructor to ensure that you have correctly completed the assignment. With some additional effort and attention to detail, you should be able to find the correct values and gain from the bode plot. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a bode plot and how is it used?

A bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the magnitude and phase of the system's response to different frequencies. It is commonly used in control system analysis and design to understand the behavior and stability of a system.

2. How can you find gain from a bode plot?

To find gain from a bode plot, you need to look at the magnitude plot. The gain is the ratio of the output amplitude to the input amplitude, so you can find it by looking at the peak of the magnitude plot. This peak is often referred to as the resonant frequency, and the corresponding gain is the resonant gain.

3. What is the difference between gain and phase on a bode plot?

Gain and phase are two different components of a bode plot. Gain refers to the amplification of the input signal at a specific frequency, while phase refers to the time delay of the output signal compared to the input signal at that same frequency. They are both important in understanding the behavior and stability of a system.

4. How can you determine the stability of a system from a bode plot?

The stability of a system can be determined from a bode plot by looking at the phase plot. If the phase plot stays below -180 degrees, the system is considered stable. If the phase plot crosses -180 degrees, the system is unstable. The frequency at which the phase plot crosses -180 degrees is known as the phase crossover frequency and is an important factor in determining stability.

5. Can a system be stable but still have a large gain on a bode plot?

Yes, a system can be stable but still have a large gain on a bode plot. This is known as gain margin and refers to the amount of gain that can be added to a system before it becomes unstable. A system with a larger gain margin is generally considered more stable than a system with a smaller gain margin.