Surface Integral of cylinder.

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the surface of a cylinder and the surface element for both a cylinder and a sphere. There is a confusion between the variables \rho and r, and it is explained that in cylindrical coordinates, r represents the distance from the origin to a point in the xy-plane. The differential of area for a sphere is r d\theta dz, but there is no need to introduce "(\rho^2- z^2)^{1/2}" in this scenario.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

I’m trying to integrate the surface of a cylinder.
I know when integrating the surface of a cylinder the surface element is:
ρdØdz

Where ρ² + z² = r²

And for a sphere it is:
r²sinθdθdØ

In a sphere r=ρ

But in a cylinder when I’m integrating its surface, could it be written as:

(r² - z² )½ . dθ.dz

For example ∫∫zdS over a cylinder from 0<z<5 and 0<Ø<2π

Would it be:

∫∫z. (r² - z² )½ . dθ.dz ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be confusing "[itex]\rho[/itex]" and "r". In spherical coordinates, [itex]\rho[/itex] is the straight line distance from the origin to a point. In cylindrical coordinates, "r" is the same as in polar coordinates- the straight line distance from the origin to a point in the xy-plane. In three dimensional cylindrical coordinates r is the distance from the origin to t he point (x,y,0) directly "below" the point (x,y,z). The "differential of area", on the surface of a sphere of (fixed) radius r, is [itex]r d\theta dz[/itex] where r is a constant. I can see no reason to introduce "[itex](\rho^2- z^2)^{1/2}[/itex]".

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to clarify that the surface integral of a cylinder is a mathematical operation used to calculate the total surface area of a cylinder. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫dS and is defined as the double integral of the surface element dS over the surface of the cylinder. The surface element for a cylinder is given by ρdØdz, where ρ is the distance from the axis of the cylinder to a point on the surface, Ø is the angle around the axis, and dz is the infinitesimal height of the cylinder.

I understand that you are trying to integrate the surface of a cylinder and have correctly identified the surface element. However, the equation you have provided for the surface element of a sphere is not entirely accurate. The correct equation for the surface element of a sphere is r²sinθdθdØ, where r is the radius of the sphere and θ is the angle from the polar axis. This equation can also be written as ρ²sinθdθdØ, where ρ is the distance from the center of the sphere to a point on the surface.

To answer your question, yes, the surface integral for a cylinder can be written as ∫∫z(r²-z²)½dθdz. This equation is correct for calculating the surface area of a cylinder. However, it is important to note that this equation is specific to the given limits of integration (0<z<5 and 0<Ø<2π). If the limits were different, the equation would also change accordingly.

I hope this clarifies the concept of surface integral of a cylinder for you. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always use accurate equations and understand the limitations and variations of mathematical operations in different scenarios.

1. What is a surface integral of a cylinder?

A surface integral of a cylinder is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a curved surface on a three-dimensional cylinder. It involves integrating a function over the surface of the cylinder.

2. How is a surface integral of a cylinder different from a regular integral?

A surface integral of a cylinder is different from a regular integral in that it involves a two-dimensional surface rather than a one-dimensional curve. The surface is defined by two variables, typically represented by u and v, and the integral is taken over the entire surface rather than a specific interval on a curve.

3. What is the formula for calculating the surface integral of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the surface integral of a cylinder is ∫∫S F(u, v) dS, where F(u, v) is the function being integrated and dS is the differential element of surface area on the cylinder.

4. What are the applications of surface integrals of cylinders in science?

Surface integrals of cylinders have various applications in science, including calculating the flux of a vector field across the curved surface of a cylinder, finding the mass and center of mass of a cylinder, and determining the surface area of a cylinder in physics and engineering problems.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving surface integrals of cylinders?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving surface integrals of cylinders, such as using parametrization to express the surface in terms of u and v, and using vector calculus identities to simplify the integrand. It is also important to choose the correct orientation and bounds of integration for the surface.