Complex numbers / cartesian equations etc

In summary, the conversation discusses using the converse of the alternate segment theorem to establish a cartesian equation, domain, and range of a locus of points. The equation is (x-1/2)^2 + y^2 = 1/4 with a domain of (0,1) and a range of (0,1/2]. The conversation also touches on using vectors and complex numbers, and clarifies that the domain is for the locus of points, not the circle itself. There is also a brief discussion on the exclusion of the point (0,0) due to undefined values.
dj_silver
Using converse of alternate segment theorem (i think it is)

i.e. this:
"If the line joining two points A and B subtends equal magnitude angles at two other points on the same side of it, then the four points lie on a circle"

establish the cartesian equation, range and domain of the locus of points:

Arg(z - a) - Arg(z) = pi/2

a = 1 + 0i

and for

Arg(z) - Arg(z-a) = pi/2

a = 1 + 0i

say z = x + iy ( i think )

i get

( x - 1/2 ) ^2 + y^2 = 1/4

But I'm not sure about the domain, range etc

If anyone could help me, or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't really tell what it is you're trying to do at all.

I've got two complex numbers,

z and a
Let z = x + iy and a = 1 + 0i

And I want to establish a cartesian equation using this theorem:

"If the line joining two points A and B subtends equal magnitude angles at two other points on the same side of it, then the four points lie on a circle"

Basically, I'd like to determine the equation, range and domain of the locus of points such that

Arg (z-a) - Arg(z) = pi/2

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm finding it hard to explain :p

I don't see how the top and bottom relate. Do you want the cartesian equation of a circle (the locus of points I assume you're talking about)? Do you want to express your equation (with the "Arg"s) in Cartesian form?

Anyways, I'm not sure exactly what you want, but if we have z = x + iy, then arg(z) = arctan(y/x). So:

[tex]\arg (z - a) - \arg (z) = \pi /2[/tex]

[tex]\arctan \left (\frac{y}{x - 1} \right ) - \arctan \left (\frac{y}{x} \right ) = \pi /2[/tex]

[tex]\tan \left [ \arctan \left (\frac{y}{x - 1} \right ) - \arctan \left (\frac{y}{x} \right ) \right ] = \tan \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{y}{x - 1} - \frac{y}{x}}{1 + \frac{y}{x - 1}\frac{y}{x}} = \tan \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{y}{x(x - 1) + y^2} \times \frac{x(x - 1)}{x(x - 1)} = \tan \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Since I'm not exactly sure what you want, I won't go further.

I used vectors and scalar product for the first one, I thought it might be relevant to this.

I'm after the cartesian of a circle - the locus of points. (I don't need the "Arg"s in there :))

thanks

Your confusing me even further. Scalar product of what? The cartesian equation of a circle is quite simply:

x² + y² - r² = 0

Of course, if it has its center elsewhere, you'd have to find the center and modify the equation. Another thing you could do:

|z| - r² = 0

don't worry, i did it myself

it's (x - 1/2)^2 + y^2 = 1/4

with a domain of (0, 1)
and a range of (0, 1/2]

Scalar product of vectors.

Complex numbers can be represented as vectors, and then i used the scalar (dot) product.

Thanks anyway

dj_silver said:
don't worry, i did it myself

it's (x - 1/2)^2 + y^2 = 1/4

with a domain of (0, 1)
and a range of (0, 1/2]
Yes, that's standard for any circle, although the domain is [0,1] and the range is [-1/2, 1/2]. A circle centered at (a,b) with radius r has the cartesian equation:

[tex](x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 - r^2 = 0[/tex]
Scalar product of vectors.

Complex numbers can be represented as vectors, and then i used the scalar (dot) product.

Thanks anyway
I know what a scalar product and complex numbers are, I just didn't know which specific vectors/complex numbers you were talking about. This is odd, it seems you're learning about vectors and complex numbers before learning basic stuff about circles? Anyways, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

It's the domain for which the locus of points exists... not the circle

for any z below the x axis, Arg(z-a) - Arg(z) is not pi/2, it's -pi/2

(Also z = 0 + 0i gives Arg(z) as undefined - this is the reason for excluding (0,0))

Capische?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the square root of -1.

2. What is the use of complex numbers in science?

Complex numbers are widely used in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to represent quantities that involve both magnitude and direction, such as in AC circuits, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.

3. What is the difference between a complex number and a cartesian coordinate?

A complex number is a number with both a real and imaginary part, while a cartesian coordinate is a point on a cartesian plane represented by an ordered pair of numbers (x,y). However, complex numbers can also be represented on a cartesian plane by plotting the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis.

4. How do you perform operations on complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and combine like terms. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the expression.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented geometrically as points on a plane, known as the complex plane. The real part corresponds to the x-coordinate and the imaginary part corresponds to the y-coordinate. The distance from the origin to the point represents the magnitude of the complex number, while the angle between the real axis and the vector represents the direction or argument of the complex number.