Can anyone explain dispersion to me in simple words?

In summary, dispersion refers to the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a system involving waves, such as surface waves or electron transport. It means that the different components of a wave disperse at different speeds, causing the wave to deform and stretch out in time and space.
Knight_ever
Can anyone explain "dispersion" to me in simple words?

like,, when waves escape from a small gap why would they s[read out in circles?

thnx for help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Knight ever,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Knight_ever said:

like,, when waves escape from a small gap why would they s[read out in circles?

thnx for help!

Do you mean "diffraction"?

Here's a Wikipedia article on diffraction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

tell us what dispersion is. i badly need it for my research. I am still clueless for that.

Dispersion is the relationship between frequency and wavelength. If the index of refraction of a material is wavelength dependent, it is also called 'dispersive'. Dispersion can be generally applied to any system involving waves: surface waves, electron transport in matter, etc.

Dispersion means that the relationship between angular frequency and wavenumber is not linear
In this case,the wave will deform when propagating,or to say the diffrent components of the waves disperse

What is dispersion?

Dispersion, in simple terms, is the process by which light is separated into its component colors.

How does dispersion occur?

Dispersion occurs when white light passes through a transparent material, such as a prism or a drop of water. The different colors of light travel at different speeds through the material, causing them to bend and separate.

What causes dispersion?

The speed of light depends on the material it travels through. The different colors of light have different wavelengths, so they travel at different speeds. This difference in speed leads to the separation of colors, creating the phenomenon of dispersion.

What are the applications of dispersion?

Dispersion has various practical applications, such as in spectroscopy, where it is used to analyze the composition of substances based on the colors they emit when exposed to light. It is also essential in the functioning of devices like prisms, lenses, and rainbows.

How is dispersion related to refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light when it passes through a material, and dispersion is a type of refraction. In dispersion, the different colors of light bend at different angles, leading to the separation of colors. So, dispersion is a specific type of refraction that occurs due to differences in the speed of light for different colors.