Showing that Every Ideal of R has the Form mR

• Thread starter kimberu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that every ideal of the ring R=Zn has the form mR for some integer m. The division algorithm is suggested as a way to approach the problem. The use of GCDs and expressing ideals as principal ideals is also mentioned. Through the conversation, it is determined that the ideal can be expressed as (m+n)R and the proof can be applied to other rings as well.
kimberu

Homework Statement

If R = Zn, show that every ideal of R has the form mR for some integer m.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, by a previous problem I showed mR is the principal ideal of the ring, but I don't know if that's relevant. I was given the hint to try to use GCDs somehow, but I really have no ideas.

thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the division algorithm.

VeeEight said:
Use the division algorithm.

You mean, say that n = qd + r, or for m?
Sorry, I'm totally lost on this problem.

Suppose you have an ideal of the form mR+nR. How can you express this as a principal ideal?

kimberu said:
You mean, say that n = qd + r, or for m?
Sorry, I'm totally lost on this problem.

Let a be the smallest positive element in your ideal I. If you have some element x in I, then x = aq + s for some s less then a.

TMM said:
Suppose you have an ideal of the form mR+nR. How can you express this as a principal ideal?

Would it be (m+n)R?

VeeEight said:
Let a be the smallest positive element in your ideal I. If you have some element x in I, then x = aq + s for some s less then a.
So from here...can I say that s must equal 0 and x = aq for all x, since otherwise it's a contradiction because a is the smallest element?

Yes. You can also reproduce this proof for other rings such as the Eisenstein integers and the Gaussian integers.

VeeEight said:
Yes.

Thank you so much for walking me through! :)

No problem, cheers.

1. What does it mean to show that every ideal of R has the form mR?

Showing that every ideal of R has the form mR means proving that every ideal in the ring R can be written as a multiple of some fixed element m in R. This is known as the principal ideal generated by m, denoted as mR.

2. Why is it important to show that every ideal of R has the form mR?

It is important to show that every ideal of R has the form mR because it helps us understand the structure of the ring R. It also allows us to simplify computations and proofs related to ideals in R.

3. How can we prove that every ideal of R has the form mR?

To prove that every ideal of R has the form mR, we can use the ideal membership test. This test states that an element x belongs to an ideal I if and only if x can be written as a linear combination of elements in I. Using this test, we can show that every element in an ideal can be expressed as a multiple of some fixed element m in R, thus proving that the ideal has the form mR.

4. Are there any exceptions to the statement "every ideal of R has the form mR"?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this statement. If the ring R is not a principal ideal domain, there may exist ideals that cannot be written in the form mR. Additionally, if R has zero divisors (elements that multiply to zero), then not all ideals will have the form mR.

5. How does showing that every ideal of R has the form mR relate to the concept of principal ideal domains?

Showing that every ideal of R has the form mR is equivalent to proving that R is a principal ideal domain. This is because a principal ideal domain is defined as a ring where every ideal is a principal ideal. Therefore, by showing that every ideal has the form mR, we can conclude that R is a principal ideal domain.