Volume rendering in Matlab using inbuilt GUI functions

In summary, the person is seeking help with creating a 3D volume from 2D RGB images in MATLAB. They are looking for a GUI that can display the images at different locations along the z-axis. They mention using the functions "imshow3D", vol3d, and isosurface to achieve this.
physical101
Hi there.
I have become a bit stuck with a little project I am working on. I have a series of RGB Tiff images which I have loaded into matlab, over 120 separate images in total. I am hoping to use the functionality of MATLAB to render a volume by stacking each of the 2D images one top of another. I would like to in MATLAB define a cube where at each z position there is a different image. I have managed to render grey scale values in the z direction but I loose most of the information I was hoping to gain from a 3D model.

What I would like is a GUI built which has a sliding scale at the bottom to go from 0 to 120 in the z direction and display the different images at the different locations.

This is just a start and I would like to develop the program much further. Does anyone know of a good place to start?

Any help would be great guys
Physical101

p.s. I don't think MATLAB is built for true colour image volume rendering but I like the language and it is very easy to distribute the code to others

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physical101,
It sounds like you are trying to create a 3D volume from 2D images. You could try using the MATLAB function "imshow3D" which allows you to quickly visualize 3D data. You can also use the vol3d function to create a 3D surface plot of the RGB images. Alternatively, you could try using the isosurface function to create a 3D mesh from the RGB images. It might be worth checking out the MATLAB documentation for more details on these functions. Good luck!

1. What is volume rendering?

Volume rendering is a technique used in computer graphics to display a 3D volume as a 2D image. It allows for the visualization of complex structures and datasets, such as medical images or scientific simulations.

2. How can I perform volume rendering in Matlab?

Matlab has built-in functions that allow for volume rendering, such as the "vol3d" function. This function displays a 3D volume as a 3D image, and can be used in conjunction with other Matlab functions to create a volume rendering of a dataset.

3. What is the difference between volume rendering and surface rendering?

Volume rendering displays a 3D volume as a 2D image, while surface rendering displays the surfaces of 3D objects as a 2D image. Volume rendering is better suited for visualizing complex structures, while surface rendering is better for displaying smooth surfaces.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my volume rendering in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab offers various customization options for volume rendering, such as changing the color and opacity of the volume, adding lighting effects, and adjusting the viewing angle. These can be done using functions such as "vol3dtool" and "vol3ddisplay".

5. Are there any limitations to volume rendering in Matlab?

One limitation of volume rendering in Matlab is its performance on large datasets. As the size of the volume increases, the rendering process can become slower and may require a significant amount of memory. Additionally, the quality of the rendering may be affected by the resolution of the dataset.