Position operator in momentum space (and vice-versa)

In summary, the transformation of operators between position space and momentum space can be determined by applying the Fourier transform and simplifying the resulting equations. In position space, the momentum operator is equal to -i\hbar \partial / \partial x.
smiler2505
Hi all,

I understand how to transform between position space and momentum space; it's a Fourier transform:
[tex]\varphi|p>=\frac{1}sqrt{2\hbar\pi}\int_{\infty}^{\infty} <x|\varphi> exp(-ipx/\hbar)dx[/tex]

But I can't figure out how to transform the operators. I know what they transform into (e.g., the p operator in position space goes to 'p' in momentum space), but not how.

Any help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
smiler2505 said:
Hi all,

I understand how to transform between position space and momentum space; it's a Fourier transform:
[tex]\varphi|p>=\frac{1}sqrt{2\hbar\pi}\int_{\infty}^{\infty} <x|\varphi> exp(-ipx/\hbar)dx[/tex]

But I can't figure out how to transform the operators. I know what they transform into (e.g., the p operator in position space goes to 'p' in momentum space), but not how.

Any help? Thanks

Apply the original definition of the momentum operator to the |p> just defined, and simplify, and you'll see that the effect is just multiplication with p. Similarly, you can verify the transformed formula for position.

Here is a detailed explanation of why [itex]p = -i\hbar \partial / \partial x[/itex] in position space, starting from the commutators of x and p.

1. What is the position operator in momentum space?

The position operator in momentum space, denoted by x, is a mathematical operator that represents the position of a particle in terms of its momentum. It is defined as x = iħ∂/∂p, where p is the momentum operator and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

2. What is the momentum operator in position space?

The momentum operator in position space, denoted by p, is a mathematical operator that represents the momentum of a particle in terms of its position. It is defined as p = -iħ∂/∂x, where x is the position operator and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the relationship between the position and momentum operators?

The position and momentum operators are related by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This relationship is mathematically represented by the commutation relation [x, p] = iħ.

4. How are position and momentum represented in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, position and momentum are represented by operators rather than classical quantities. This is because in the quantum world, the values of these physical quantities are uncertain and can only be described by a probability distribution. The position operator and momentum operator act on the wavefunction of a particle to give the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a certain position or with a certain momentum.

5. What is the significance of the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics?

The position and momentum operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they are fundamental operators that describe the position and momentum of particles in the quantum world. They are used to formulate the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, and are also used to derive other important physical quantities such as energy and angular momentum. The position and momentum operators help us understand the behavior of particles at the microscopic level and are essential for understanding complex quantum systems.