Build a FM Radio Receiver: What Do I Need?

In summary, I would recommend that you try finding a kit or forum that discusses FM receivers. There are many options available and you would be able to learn a lot by building one yourself.
nero1987
hello i am new, i thinking to make a fm radio receiver but i don't know what i need (capacitor, oscillator etc) can someone help me with more knowledge than me ? if you have link or something else that maybe help me is welcome. i search the internet but i don't can find anything that suit in my problem. i don't know if this is the right topic, excuse me ...
thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
I would say that an FM receiver would be an overambitious project with which to start on EE.
What is your level of EE knowledge?

If you really want to make an FM radio, there are kits available.

I just did a search on Google and there are dozens of them available.

They supply all the bits and you solder the components to a printed circuit board and then mount it in a case.

It is a fairly expensive way of getting an FM Radio and you won't learn much about how they work because someone else has already done the clever stuff for you.

But, there would be some satisfaction in assembling it yourself.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome.
I would say that an FM receiver would be an overambitious project with which to start on EE.
What is your level of EE knowledge?

BEng, is good enough ? can you help me please ?

vk6kro said:
If you really want to make an FM radio, there are kits available.

I just did a search on Google and there are dozens of them available.

They supply all the bits and you solder the components to a printed circuit board and then mount it in a case.

It is a fairly expensive way of getting an FM Radio and you won't learn much about how they work because someone else has already done the clever stuff for you.

But, there would be some satisfaction in assembling it yourself.

i know about fm radio kits but is have microchips than a lot of electronic components (diodes etc)

nero1987 said:
BEng, is good enough ? can you help me please ?

Fine - so you know one end of a resistor from another! :smile:

I would have suggested a kit (which is what I would use if I were to want to make an FM receiver) but you say that you would like to go discrete.
My recommendation would be to get onto a Radio Amateur forum and ask about the thousands of older DIY designs that were around 30years ago. There were a whole lot of them in the Mags at the time - along with descriptions of the functions of the parts of the circuit. There are bound to be old geezers of my age who have had lots of experience with constructing receivers of all sorts. They will be only too pleased to give you info.

Many contributors to this forum are into more fundamental stuff or are just too young to be of much help with this, I should have thought.

It may depend on why you want to do this project. If you really want a receiver 'to use' then a kit would be best, by far. If you want to get familiar with the functions of different circuit blocks then you might find it worthwhile making a bit at a time - for instance, a conventional FM discriminator, on its own would be fun to build and to operate - if you have a suitable signal generator with which to test it. etc etc. You could also use a PLL chip or a Pulse counting type, to see the different features. This wouldn't give you a listenable receiver but you would be a lot wiser about RF matters.

thanks you, do you have to recommend me any forum ?
i want to make an fm radio without microchip, and receive the signal and listen music...
i want to learn how is working in real life and no in wikipedia

I don't read Ham Radio forums except when a Google search for a topic takes me there.
I suggest you try the RSGB (the UK organisation) and register on their forum but there are many other national groups. In which part of the world are you located? You could try there first.

Here is a kit which seems to use simple parts. I can see one integrated circuit for the audio output, but otherwise it uses individual transistors.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/ELENCO-AMFM108K-/80-1195

4013141.jpg

It costs about $37.

However, I really doubt that you would learn anything by building it and there is a chance you would not be able to get it working without test equipment. This is especially true if you make any errors in constructing it.

For comparison, I have a 1 GB MP3 player that would hold about 250 songs and it cost about $25. It has a superb sounding FM radio, with a digital frequency readout, built into it.

It would be a much more practical project to build an AM radio or even some test equipment. Perhaps an RF signal generator.

FM radio is on VHF and this means you need very careful construction techniques to get usable results.

1. What parts do I need to build a FM radio receiver?

To build a FM radio receiver, you will need a few essential parts such as an antenna, a tuner, an amplifier, a demodulator, and a speaker. You may also need a power supply and some basic tools for assembly.

2. How do I choose the right components for my FM radio receiver?

The key components for a FM radio receiver are the antenna, tuner, and amplifier. When choosing these components, you should consider the frequency range, gain, and sensitivity. It's important to research and select high-quality components for optimal performance.

3. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a FM radio receiver?

Building a FM radio receiver requires basic knowledge of electronics and some soldering skills. It's also helpful to have an understanding of radio wave frequencies and how they are modulated and demodulated.

4. Can I use a kit to build a FM radio receiver?

Yes, there are many kits available for building a FM radio receiver. These kits come with all the necessary components and detailed instructions, making it easier for beginners to build their own radio.

5. How can I troubleshoot any issues with my FM radio receiver?

If you encounter any issues with your FM radio receiver, you can start by checking the connections and components. Make sure everything is properly connected and soldered. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and continuity of the circuit. If the issue persists, you may need to consult a professional or refer to online resources for troubleshooting tips.