Oscillations of a Pendulum: How Many Complete by Noon and What is the Amplitude?

In summary, a brass pendulum with a damping constant of .010 kg/s swings at the end of a 15m long wire in a science museum. It is started at 8:00 a.m. every morning by pulling it 1.5m to the side and releasing it. At exactly 12:00 noon, the pendulum will have completed approximately 21.85 oscillations. Its amplitude can be found using the equation w=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}, taking into account the damping constant.
kerbyjonsonjr

Homework Statement

In a science museum, a brass pendulum bob swings at the end of a 15m long wire. The pendulum is started at exactly 8:00 a.m. every morning by pulling it 1.5m to the side and releasing it. Because of its compact shape and smooth surface, the pendulum's damping constant is only .010 kg/s.

At exactly 12:00 noon, how many oscillations will the pendulum have completed?

And what is its amplitude?

Homework Equations

w=2[tex]\pi[/tex]f
w=[tex]\sqrt{}k/m[/tex]
T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I used w=[tex]\sqrt{}k/m[/tex] so I had w=[tex]\sqrt{}.01/110[/tex]= .009 then I plugged that into w=2pif so .009=2pif f=.0015 and found the period by doing 1/.0015 and got 659 seconds. Then I converted the 4 hours minutes and got 14,400 and then I divided 14,400/659 and got 21.85.

For the amplitude I am not sure exactly how I would get that but would it just be the length of the wire or how high it goes or something else? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! It looks like you confused k for b. Remember, in a simple pendulum,

[tex] \omega = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/tex],

although you will still have to factor in the damping constant.

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth due to gravity. It consists of a mass attached to a rod or string, and when released, it will oscillate back and forth in a regular pattern.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of a pendulum?

The oscillation of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower the oscillation, while the heavier the mass and the stronger the force of gravity, the faster the oscillation.

3. What is the period of a pendulum's oscillation?

The period of a pendulum's oscillation is the time it takes for one complete swing, from one side to the other and back. It is affected by the length of the pendulum, and can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the angle of release affect the oscillation of a pendulum?

The angle of release does not affect the period of a pendulum's oscillation, but it does affect the amplitude (the distance the pendulum swings from its starting point). A larger angle will result in a larger amplitude, while a smaller angle will result in a smaller amplitude.

5. What are the practical applications of pendulum oscillations?

Pendulum oscillations have various practical applications, including timekeeping (e.g. grandfather clocks), measuring the strength of gravitational fields, and studying harmonic motion in physics. They are also used in seismometers to measure earthquakes and in metronomes for musicians to keep a steady beat.