Samsung mobile charger difference in power

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and power ratings of a Samsung mobile charger. The input power is 36W and the output power is 2.6W, leading to a question about the significant difference between the two. The conversation also mentions the role of power factor and the possibility of using a more efficient power conversion method. Further discussion includes the accuracy of current ratings and the need for actual measurement to determine the power consumption. The conversation concludes with a link to a forum post that may provide an answer to the question.
vidhyarthi
Hi friends, I have a samsung mobile charger with specifications as
Input: 150-300V AC and 0.15A
Output: 4.75V DC and 0.55A
So now by P=VI
the input power is 36W (taking 240V AC and unity PF)
and output power is 2.6W.
So my doubt is why there is such difference the power of i/p and o/p??
because if we have low i/p power we can have a less amount of energy consumed.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

"Input: 150-300V AC and 0.15A"

For many devices the input current rating is more of a suggested minimum rating for the power source you should use rather than an accurate measure of the typical current that the device will consume.

BTW. You can't necessarily calculate the AC power as "VI" anyway.

Thanks uart so from your reply i understand that input current is more than rated even then4 the input power is more. And even we take power factor into consideration it is more than output DC power. Now what I'm asking is can't we take the same amount of power which is consumed by the mobile and convert that from AC to DC to save such wastage of energy?

Does it feel like a 20 watt as it's running? If not, than you may consider that it is not lossing so much energy. The safety agency ratings for current can be confusing and you generally cannot rely on them for power ratings. Also, the chance of such a tiny supply having power factor correction, are close to non-existent...

Ratings like that don't necessarily denote the actual operating values of the device. Usually it would just be safe maximums or things like that. The only way to be sure of the power is to actually measure it while it is being used. I know there is a device called the Kill-a-Watt sold in the US that can measure the power taken from a wall outlet. I'm sure there are similar devices sold for your country.

I find it highly unlikely that a charger would have less than 10% efficiency.

Also, write better post titles. Generic things like "Help!" are useless and annoying.

input current is only indicative for 150/300V source, actual current would be lesser. and charger efficiency should be >50%

1. What is the difference in power between Samsung mobile chargers?

The main difference in power between Samsung mobile chargers lies in their voltage and amperage outputs. Some models may have a higher voltage and amperage, resulting in faster charging times, while others may have lower outputs and take longer to charge your device.

2. How do I know which Samsung mobile charger is suitable for my device?

It is important to check your device's manual or specifications to determine the voltage and amperage requirements. You should then select a Samsung charger with the same or higher outputs to ensure proper and safe charging.

3. Can I use any Samsung mobile charger with my device?

While most Samsung chargers have similar outputs, it is recommended to use the charger that came with your device. Using a different charger could result in slower charging times or potentially damage your device.

4. What is the difference between a USB and wall adapter Samsung mobile charger?

The main difference is in the form factor and charging speed. A USB Samsung charger typically has a USB port and can be plugged into a computer or power bank, while a wall adapter has a plug for direct wall outlet charging. Wall adapters typically have higher outputs and can charge your device faster than a USB charger.

5. Do Samsung mobile chargers have safety features?

Yes, most Samsung mobile chargers have built-in safety features such as overcharging and overcurrent protection, which help prevent damage to your device and ensure safe charging. It is important to only use genuine Samsung chargers to ensure these safety features are present.