A question re solid state switch

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding a solid state component that can act as a SPST switch with rapid on and off times of approximately 500 ns. A helpful resource for this is Maxim Electronics, which offers a variety of analog switches that meet these requirements. The speaker is also advised to check out App Note 638 for additional information on analog switches.
rrosenthal
I am less than a novice regarding electronic issues and understanding circuits , and need help in terms of seeking a component. I am looking for a solid state component---?? ic--- that would act as a SPST switch. This switching device would be inserted into a simple dc circuit--( approx 10-15 v-----50 to 200 ma)-------This hypothetical switch device would then turn on and off rapidly------- alternately allowing passage of dc current and then stopage of current. However I would need the switch "on" time to be approx 500 ns----and the "off" time to be about the same---ie about 500 ns---------Would appreciate any advice or suggestions--

randy rosenthal

Engineering news on Phys.org
rrosenthal said:
I am less than a novice regarding electronic issues and understanding circuits , and need help in terms of seeking a component. I am looking for a solid state component---?? ic--- that would act as a SPST switch. This switching device would be inserted into a simple dc circuit--( approx 10-15 v-----50 to 200 ma)-------This hypothetical switch device would then turn on and off rapidly------- alternately allowing passage of dc current and then stopage of current. However I would need the switch "on" time to be approx 500 ns----and the "off" time to be about the same---ie about 500 ns---------Would appreciate any advice or suggestions--

randy rosenthal

Here's a helpful page at Maxim Electronics:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/switches/

They make a wide range of analog switches, including ones that meet your speed requirements. Be sure to check out App Note 638 at the bottom of the page -- it's a good intro to analog switches.

1. What is a solid state switch?

A solid state switch is an electronic component that can control the flow of electricity without any moving parts. It uses solid state materials like semiconductors to turn the switch on and off.

2. How does a solid state switch work?

A solid state switch works by using semiconductors to create a barrier that controls the flow of electricity. When the switch is turned on, the barrier is removed, allowing current to flow through. When the switch is turned off, the barrier is put back in place, stopping the flow of current.

3. What are the advantages of using a solid state switch?

Solid state switches have several advantages over traditional mechanical switches. They are more reliable, have a longer lifespan, and can switch on and off much faster. They also do not produce noise or heat, making them ideal for sensitive electronic equipment.

4. What are the applications of a solid state switch?

Solid state switches are used in a variety of applications, including power supplies, motor control, lighting control, and electronic equipment. They are also commonly used in energy-saving devices, such as solar panels and LED lights.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solid state switch?

While solid state switches have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They are more expensive than mechanical switches and may not be suitable for high power or high voltage applications. They also require proper cooling to prevent overheating.